High nitrite and ammonia !!!! HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 mollies 21 baby platy and 2 albino Cory's? That could be why the readings are so high. The bio load is too big for the filter and tank

I know it's over stocked but all of them are babies right now so I figured it wouldn't be an issue until they got a little bigger.

Are the mollies and corys adults or fry as well?

Mollies are fry, and the corys are very small, I bought them at the LFS , and they are 5x smaller than the ones I have in my community tank so I figure they are still very young to. They are albino corys.

I had over 50 fry in a 5 gallon with no problems. Of course they outgrew it but that gave me time to get a larger tank for them. The key was a had an established filter on it and I still did 50 % water changes each day as I find Platys a little messy

If your larger tank is healthy and cycled I'd take a bit of media from the filter and put it into the smaller tank's filter to add some bacteria (check the larger tank's parameters for a week or so to ensure that removing the media hasn't caused any temporary spikes and if it does just do some extra water changes until it levels off). A 2.5 gal does seem a bit small for that many fish though even if they are small but it might be manageable if you add some seeded filter media and keep up with testing and water changes.

If your larger tank is healthy and cycled I'd take a bit of media from the filter and put it into the smaller tank's filter to add some bacteria (check the larger tank's parameters for a week or so to ensure that removing the media hasn't caused any temporary spikes and if it does just do some extra water changes until it levels off). A 2.5 gal does seem a bit small for that many fish though even if they are small but it might be manageable if you add some seeded filter media and keep up with testing and water changes.

I don't have any filter media from my established tank because u changed the pad. It was really old and the new one has only been in there for a few days .

Back
Top Bottom