High nitrite level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haripriya

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank is almost one and half month old after cycling it I bought two mollies and two glo fish it's a ten gallon tank and after a week I bought the fish I noticed the nitrite levels are high I have been adding prime and ph increaser the level of ph was low even after three weeks it's d same please help

First off, stop using the ph buffer. It's doing more harm then good. Those fish will adjust just fine to your ph.
Now how are you testing your parameters? Ph, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? What is your current ph from your tap water? Have you checked your tap for nitrites?

When you say you "cycled" it before you got the fish, do you mean you did a Fishless Cycle to build the bacteria?

My other questions/comments are the same as other people's

We would like to see your full numbers for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate

Stop using the pH buffer. How low is your tap pH? What are you trying to get it to?

When you say you "cycled" it before you got the fish, do you mean you did a Fishless Cycle to build the bacteria?

My other questions/comments are the same as other people's

We would like to see your full numbers for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate

Stop using the pH buffer. How low is your tap pH? What are you trying to get it to?

Same wavelength. What is your idea of a cycle. It doesn't seem like it has been done correctly.

Are the fish showing any signs of distress?

What test kit do you have?

Your fish are also too small for a 10g, so it is probably overloaded which is making your levels high... (sorry :( )

I cycled it before I bought the fish and I have been using the strip with colors given by the petsmArt people to check at home the nitrite level which is supposed to be white is showing me pink colour

Yes I did a fish less cycle to build the bacteria I do not have a kit at home

Sounds like cycling was not complete. If you weren't testing, how did you determine that the water was cycled?

Having your own test kit makes all the difference and they're ~$20 on Amazon. You also need to be changing water daily until the ammonia and nitrites go to zero. That stuff is poison to fish.

I also see problems with the stocking. Mollies are big fish! They might look small now but they get 3-4" fast and eat like there's no tomorrow. They don't belong in a ten. The glofish are appropriate for your tank. I'd suggest taking the mollies back. Once your water cycle is finished, get more glofish of the type you have now. They are schooling fish and much prefer to live in groups.

Back
Top Bottom