High Nitrite levels :( please be aware I typed a lot(coffee)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you replacing the filters? If so that's a no no. I couldn't tell by what you were saying if you bought a new filter and swapped it our or not. But you want to basically never replace your filters as that's where a vast majority of your good bacteria live.... use it until it's falling apart.. even then stick another good one in there to seed it before a total swap.

Other than that just keep up the PWC's and keep testing. You're doing a great thing IMO rather than letting everything die.

i just went through the nitrite spike out of nowhere also....my tank has been up and running for about a month. i had put fish in there during week 3...only 2 fish,...i was doing pwc 2x a week about 30% water changes.. havent lost any fish but my nitrites just spiked out of nowhere..i did a 5x amount of prime dose which in theory should bring nitrites down to a safe level immediatly,supposely converting them to gas..if you have fish in your tank and were worried about loosing them. in the mean time i got some nitrozorb to put in my filter to keep the nitrites at bay...while everything levels out....so far so good.........great people and great info on this site !!!!!

I also purchased another HOB filter, the tetra clear that is up to 90 gallons, and I also added a patch of Bio Chem Zorb for my other HOB filter which is the aqueon 55/75. I have also actived carbon in the aqueon filter and my nitrites are still this high..why..

It's a normal process that you can't get around and it's one that needs to happen to get your tank stable. Adding chemicals isn't going to help, and I wouldn't trust chemicals in the tank to do what water changes will do better. Do as Eco said: frequent, large water changes with Prime. Either that or rehome/return the fish and finish up without them. That's really your two options to keep those fish alive. It's OK to add a new filter to your tank but don't replace your other filter, that's the one that's growing all the bacteria you'll need! If you replace it, you're going to have to start this all over again.

no I didn't change the filter media, I just added the "large pouches" that are used inside the filters.. like the API BioChemZORB and API activated premium carbon to help detoxify all of the bad things in the water but its not helping, yet. I also added another HOB filter incase the biosystem isn't able to keep up with the waste being created by the fish,, I purchased the Tetra clear 70 model thats for up to 90 gallons and my tank is only 60, that also has special filtration to help with the water quality, it's suppose to be a great one. I had a clown loach almost a month ago that I purchased in the beginning, and when I moved all my non aggressives before I added the cichlids, I can't find him anymore, I'm almost 100% certain he's died :( but it's been a long time and I did a sweep all over and I couldn't find him, and he didn't jump because I would of found his corpse :( so maybe that could also cause the spiking, right? I just did a 60%PWC and added about 6 capfuls of Prime and about 5 teaspons of salt..I will continue to do PWC either tonight later, or in the morning : ( I pray they drop so I can know that i'm doing ok

I also added a 2nd heater, and I was thinking should I maybe mess around and bring the Ph down to 7.0? I have PH 7.0, or is it to late in this phase?

AddictedtoFishNoW said:
I also added a 2nd heater, and I was thinking should I maybe mess around and bring the Ph down to 7.0? I have PH 7.0, or is it to late in this phase?

Do not mess with pH under any circumstances IMO. In 99.9999% of cases it causes more harm than good.

The carbon and other media is also unnecessary and will not help...fresh, clean, temperature matched, dechlorinated water (with a touch of aquarium salt) is all you need...and is absolutely the best course to take.

ah shoot, should I take them out now? because I just put the biochem zorb in 2 days ago, and the carbon has been a good 3 and half weeks in? my 2nd filter that I just purchased, the Tetra clear, it also has that in the system as well,, do u think I could be killing anything by using the extra biochem zorb and carbon in the aqueon in the tank?

Personally I'd ditch the Bio-zorb...but keep the old carbon. Once carbon stops absorbing things it simply becomes part of your bio-media since it's a porous surface. If it's been in that long I'd consider it part of your bio-filter now. It won't hurt...carbon just isn't normally necessary and isn't going to help at all with ammonia / nitrIte issues.

ok thanks Eco.. very much.. do u think I did a good job with deciding to buy that 2nd hob filter? I feel like with all the decorations the aqueon could kinda be blocked, so I put one on each side for extra filtration

AddictedtoFishNoW said:
ok thanks Eco.. very much.. do u think I did a good job with deciding to buy that 2nd hob filter? I feel like with all the decorations the aqueon could kinda be blocked, so I put one on each side for extra filtration

There's no such thing as over-filtration. The more the better. Leaving both running is also a great way to be able to set up a quarantine tank in the future if it's needed.

If you think there might be a dead fish in there...I'd find him. Even if you have to pull every single piece of decoration out. A decaying fish can definitely cause a toxin spike and really compound the problem.

Extra filtration is never a bad thing. (y)

The spikes are normal and the process of cycling the tank (although yeah the dead fish could be contributing but if it's been a month, I'm not sure. Try to find it if you can). The ammonia and nitrites will come down on their own eventually and the tank will keep them both at 0 when the cycle is complete (when enough bacteria grow to control the ammonia that the fish are producing; then you should only need to do 1-2 smaller pwc per week to keep nitrates under 20). Until then, large frequent water changes and test the water daily with your kit.
And be careful with the Prime, I know the bottle says you can dose 5x the normal amount in an emergency, but I think if you're doing water changes every day and adding that much each time it might be too much. I'm not sure, maybe someone else can say for sure, but just be careful.

I'm glad to say that I did a test this morning, and did another water change, after the readings initially were high, after my water change and use of prime, I let the water flow for 20 minutes, and tested it 2x's to make sure, my Nitrites are now at 0. I tested Nitrates and they were at 20PPM, am I close or if not done with the cycle now? Could I add any more fish into this tank? I don't want to ruin anything atm :S

Continue testing every day and be certain the ammonia and nitrIte a constantly staying at zero. If so, then your tank is technically cycled which basically means enough beneficial bacteria has grown to be capable of supporting the fish you currently have right now.

I would be very cautious and meticulous about adding fish in the future. I would absolutely wait a couple weeks before even considering new fish after what you've gone through, and add them VERY slowly and lightly stock from here on out.

Remember that your bacteria has adjusted to the fish currently in the tank. If you add any more too soon, too quickly or too many...it will put you exactly back where you were and you'll be dealing with toxin spikes all over again.

BTW, you did the right thing by asking for help and doing what it took to protect your fish during the process. It's nice to see hobbyists who are dedicated and willing to do what it takes to keep your fish healthy. Great job :)

Back
Top Bottom