High Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnthn932

Aquarium Advice Freak
How can I lower my nitrite levels? I've done water changes, filter cleaning and added different water treatments but my levels are still high! Somebody heeeellllllpppppp! I don't want my fish to die!

Jnthn932 said:
How can I lower my nitrite levels? I've done water changes, filter cleaning and added different water treatments but my levels are still high! Somebody heeeellllllpppppp! I don't want my fish to die!

How much water are you changing?

Jnthn932 said:
I changed it about 50% last week and literally just changed another 50%.

Next time do a bigger water change. How big is your tank?

bigger? I always thought that anything over 50 % was harmful to the fish. It's only a 20. I'm getting a 150 gallon very soon so you'll be hearing form me then as well if I cant figure this out! lol

Jnthn932 said:
bigger? I always thought that anything over 50 % was harmful to the fish. It's only a 20. I'm getting a 150 gallon very soon so you'll be hearing form me then as well if I cant figure this out! lol

Not at all. Try a 75% but make sure you keep your filter with tank water so it wont dry out and kill the bacteria in your media.

What exactly is the reading? Do you have any plants? What is your stocking? Do you gravel-vac when you change water? How old is the tank? I think a few more details before we can settle this. There has to be some reason why your tank has such high nitrates.

Nitirite is at 1.0. I have no plants and I currently have 6 cories, 2 platys, 5 neon tetra, 2 dwarf gourami, and one dalamation molly. I usually do vacuum the gravel but all I have is this crappy top fin one. The tank is about one month old. Does this help?

Jnthn932 said:
Nitirite is at 1.0. I have no plants and I currently have 6 cories, 2 platys, 5 neon tetra, 2 dwarf gourami, and one dalamation molly. I usually do vacuum the gravel but all I have is this crappy top fin one. The tank is about one month old. Does this help?

If your nitrite is at 1 then it's not off the chart, yes it needs to be at 0 so you need to bring down.
How about your ammo & nitrate?
Did you cycle your tank?

Everything else was at a normal level. I cycled for about three days before adding fish. I've never had any problems until now. My water is also beginning to become cloudy :(.

Jnthn932 said:
Everything else was at a normal level. I cycled for about three days before adding fish. I've never had any problems until now. My water is also beginning to become cloudy :(.

How often do you clean your filter?

How often do you change the water?
Do you have nitrates?

Test your tap water for nitrite.
Which water conditoner are you using?

Jnthn932 said:
Tetra Aqua safe, and tetra aqua easy balance.

I would use prime as for water conditioner.

Also test your tap water for nitrite.

Back
Top Bottom