High nitro levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garjam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my tank 25 litres fluval chi for 3 weeks I've got plants , 2 Platies and 2 swordtails and have my water tested weekly and do a 10% water change weekly but I have been told my nitro levels are high can someone tell me why and how I can bring them down ple

There could be other reasons and I'm not sure if you are talking about nitrate or nitrite, but this should help regardless.

Larger water changes will help bring down your nitrate/nitrite levels. Try 20-30%.

Nitrate accumulates and is removed by plants and water changes mainly. Frequent small water changes are not as effective as periodic large water changes. So 2 10% water changes does not = 20%. Hope that makes sense, heh.

So say you have 50N nitrates and you do five 10% water changes. The first change (0.1*50N) will lower it 45N. The second 41.5N. The third 37.35N. The fourth 33.62N. The fifth 30.26N. This is only works if the water changes are done back to back. If you wait a week in between you are getting more and more accumulation.

With one 50% water change (0.5*50N)= 25N

(Just a general example)

Thanks all I'm planing to do a 50% change tonight and another 50% on Saturday will that sort it

Back
Top Bottom