High Ph Tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishinstaller26

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello
My tap water Ph comes out at 8.4
Should I mix my tap water with nuetral regulator before adding to my aquarium since I try to keep that ph at 7.2

Question / FYI on your test...

In the cooler months when I test my tap it is 7.2-7.4.

Right now it's 102 outside and my tap is coming out warmer and at 8.4. If I let it sit in the garage on the cool concrete in a bucket it drops back down.

Are you perhaps somewhere that is warm now?

Ive never heard of temperature being a factor in water's pH. My guess is that TMaier's water has a low KH and is more susceptible to pH swings. By letting it sit out over night it is absorbing atmospheric CO2, which will lower the pH if the water doesn't have enough buffering capacity.

To your question Fishinstaller, before you add things to your water in an attempt to alter its pH you'll want to find out what its buffering capacity is. The higher the Hardness of you water, the more difficult it will be to change the pH... and keep it changed, which is arguably more important. Most fish can adapt to a higher pH, but all fish will struggle if the pH is in constant flux.

[emoji50]oh really! Learning is cool. Kh take 3 drops for a color change using API tests. Kinda low.

Ive never heard of temperature being a factor in water's pH. My guess is that TMaier's water has a low KH and is more susceptible to pH swings. By letting it sit out over night it is absorbing atmospheric CO2, which will lower the pH if the water doesn't have enough buffering capacity.

To your question Fishinstaller, before you add things to your water in an attempt to alter its pH you'll want to find out what its buffering capacity is. The higher the Hardness of you water, the more difficult it will be to change the pH... and keep it changed, which is arguably more important. Most fish can adapt to a higher pH, but all fish will struggle if the pH is in constant flux.

Somewhat seperate but just out of interest, I filled the tank once after filling the pool (thousands of litres). Tap water was quite different - colder, very gassy in tank, etc. Can't remember ph. After several hours it settled down and CO2 ph probe results was similar that night (maybe little different). Next time I'll do tank before filling pool.

My water tends to be really alkaline and hard. I keep driftwood in it except for my one tank that is nearly all mollies. They like the hard water (and the snail in there doesn't seem to mind it). In my 5 gallon betta tank I add RO water mixed with my regular water and conditioner and test it, and it gets it to higher than bettas like, but probably with the right minerals and such. He's been fine with it.

TL:DR, if you can, also make sure you have fish that like higher PH water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom