Hikari foods clouding water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirt Diggler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've recently been using Hikari algae wafers along with my NLS pellets in an attempt to ensure my plecos and cats get food and I'm seeing a very noticeable green clouding of water. I had a slip up yesterday where too many wafers went into the tank :facepalm:, and I tried to collect all the debris during my water change today. All my filters floss is caked with this stuff now, and the water, even after a 50% water change looks pretty bad. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm not trying to change all my filter media at one time and disrupt the bio filter. My buddy uses Hikari pellets, and his tank has a visible red hue to it. Thoughts?

Hello Dirt...

What you need is a filter medium that's dense and will attract and hold the floating material in the water. Research Acurel and HBH. They have a good filter product that will clear the tank water in a few days.

You can help clear the water by not vacuuming, just remove half the tank water every week or two and feed just a little a couple of times a week. Fish are generally small, with very small stomachs. It doesn't take much to fill them.

B

Hello Dirt...

What you need is a filter medium that's dense and will attract and hold the floating material in the water. Research Acurel and HBH. They have a good filter product that will clear the tank water in a few days.

You can help clear the water by not vacuuming, just remove half the tank water every week or two and feed just a little a couple of times a week. Fish are generally small, with very small stomachs. It doesn't take much to fill them.

B

I had to give it some time, but it looks like it cleared up. I
'm using the white/pink pond floss with my filter media and so far it's worked well. They took care of the clouding, but they are back up now. I've replaced one, but I have 4 more to replace (1 power head filter, 2 Aqueon 55/75 filters, and 1 Tetra 60). Thank you for the advice on feeding. I'm new to plecos and cats and didn't want them to starve. :whistle:

I've recently been using Hikari algae wafers along with my NLS pellets in an attempt to ensure my plecos and cats get food and I'm seeing a very noticeable green clouding of water. I had a slip up yesterday where too many wafers went into the tank :facepalm:, and I tried to collect all the debris during my water change today. All my filters floss is caked with this stuff now, and the water, even after a 50% water change looks pretty bad. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm not trying to change all my filter media at one time and disrupt the bio filter. My buddy uses Hikari pellets, and his tank has a visible red hue to it. Thoughts?

All fish foods will cloud UR water.

It probably had more to do with me stirring up the water while I did my water change, but my filters were stuffed full of the stuff. The food spill must have been worse than I thought.

Back
Top Bottom