Hippo tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleHauze

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just added a hippo tank to my tank. The tang is about the size of a quarter. For the first 3 days he seemed fine now today he is hiding in the corner. Is this a normal action for them.

What size is the tank and what are his tankmates? How much live rock do you have and are there places for him to hide if needed?

110g 80lbs of live rock. Tank mates are 2 clowns 1 coral beauty pygmy angle 1 3strip damsel 1 lemon goby 3 chromis. And yes plenty of hiding spots. Where she is now is where she goes when the lights go out and where she went from the day i put her in

as long as the tang is eating steady and has the proper nutrition, i wouldnt think much of it. are you feeding algae sheets?

I am feeding LFS Herbivore frenzy as well as a grazing disc. Which in the past 2 days she has been eating both. But not today

I've used Kent's Extreme Garlic which helps stimulate appetite, you can put it directly into the water or soak food in it. Selcon is a good liquid vitamin you can get from Amazon which makes a nice soak too. I saw some of those Hippos that were about a nickel size at the LFS, so cute! Hope he does well....

The first day the damsel did but the 2 clowns stepped up and were her body guards. The cheato is a good idea

Just saw that you're from Hershey, PA as I scoff down Cadbury mini-eggs. **** you Hershey! Yes, Chaeto might help her relax. Good luck!

IMO buying Chaeto just for the tang to hide in is a waste of time and money. the tang is small enough that he/she can find countless holes in the liverock to hide out in.

PS, im from Washington, pa. just south of Pittsburgh

Absolutely normal for this fish to hide,play dead, and to squeeze onto the craziest places. Just watch for ich, they seem to be sensitive. They are omnivores and should be feed both greens and proteins.... Mine like formula pellets.
Good luck.

I do try to feed both and yes they do squeeze into dumb places. With in 2hrs of being in my tank she got through the weer into the overflow. I spent 20 min trying to find her behind the pipes.

Can't stress enough, watch for ich....I've been battling tangs and ich for years. Matter of fact I have a hippo in hypo salinity treatment now. With tangs,def have a quarantine/hospital tank ready.

Back
Top Bottom