Hitchhiker on Tree Leather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mae140

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!

I'm getting my feet wet with saltwater aquariums, having been devoted to freshwater in the past. I recently bought a Kenya tree leather frag to start with after reading about how hardy these guys are.

When my frag arrived I started assimilating it, and three days later I noticed this guy pop up on the side of the plug. Can anyone ID it for me? I was looking around and I'm thinking it may be flower pot?

I'm currently feeding coral frenzy and it captures the food before bringing it towards its mouth. It's a really interesting little guy to watch so I'd love to take it from the leather and grow it out.

When disturbed it shrinks down into itself.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447079960.047766.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447079985.846936.jpg

Aiptasia for sure. Aiptasia-X works best for me. Just stop all flow in your tank when you administer it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

since it's on a rock and can be easily removed you can burn it off with a lighter or just drown it out with crazy glue , or just blast it with boiling lemon juice or white vinegar

I would as above remove from tank and to be 100% sure it's gone break that chunk of with it on :)

IME, the Kenya Tree is just as invasive as the Aptasia. I would remove both. They do exactly the same thing- spread all over very quickly, kill neighboring corals, and don't do anything for aesthetics. If you purchased this, you are new in the hobby. Trust me, in a short time if you stick with it, you'll be sorry you have Kenya Tree in your tank.

I bought the tree because I heard they're extremely difficult to kill and the only experience I have (other than reading) is freshwater.

I find these guys really cool to watch, pest coral or no.

Back
Top Bottom