hmmm, i think i messed up (again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=6419&highlight=musty+smell

Recently my 55 gal has started to smell RANK! It stinks up my whole room. All I have in it is a 14 inch silver aro, 2 plecos, and a craw daddy, craw momma, and some craw babies. Ac ouple weeks ago, sfter being fed up with my feeders dieing on the way home for the lfs, I pondered if there was something easier/better to feed dea Balki and his buddies. While at Walmart I spotted some salad shrimp. ::light bulb:: Everyone in the tank loves them... but could this be the cause of the stink? Could someone explain to me what the linked post is about.
I do feed my pacus shrimp also, but they are much quicker eaters. I don't have any kits to test my water.. ::sigh::

Thanks,
Traci

Hiya meow:

Are you removing any uneaten shrimp from the tank asap? If not, it could be rotting away in there. What sorta smell is it? Also, whats your ammonia levels? That might be a clue too. I really really strongly suggest picking up some tests; in the meantime bring a water sample to the lfs and have them check it out.

As for that link, a piece of shrimp can be used to fishless cycle a tank; thats what they are talking about.

I havent been removing any.. I usuaully feed before I go to bed. When I wake up in the morning there is nothing left. Its not a fishy smell though.. not like rotting/dead fish. Its kind of musty?

You definately need to at least get ammonia & nitrite test kits. I was in Wal Mart today, & they have test strips which test about 5 different things. I don't know how accurate they are, but it's better than what you got now. My tank stunk so bad, my whole house smelled like it! I had to completely empty out the tank and start over. It sounds like your ammonia level is getting high. Tank water always has a smell to it, but it shouldn't be that strong. Mine usually smells like fresh dirt.

I have ::counts:: 4 other tanks which all smell "healthy" I think it is the shrimp.. I did a 50% water change last night, cleaned out the filters.. and its much less smelling today. The fish seems fine, no signs of tail/fin splitting.. plants are all fine. ::shrug:: anyone have any other ideas for what to feed this big boy?

You have that many tanks.. ever thought about trying to make a feeder guppy tank?... you prob wouldn;t need that big of a tank.. say 10 gallon or so. Plus filtration could be done without much hassle.. maybe a mini ac, or any other filter... so long you don't over stock the tank. What I am curious about is... are you only feeding your fish meaty stuff? Like why nto use pellets or freeze dried shrimp or something like that? For my oscars am about to start feeding them some beefheart like once a week or so, etc.. I got that info off websites and other forums... I am sure there is a recipie out there for you arrowana, and the pleco can eat whatevers left.

Also whats your filtration like? Are you only using power filters or soemthing? Maybe a canister filter needs to be changed of its innerds, etc... choices limitles

In my aro tank I have a full under gravel filter, and a penguin 330 (it's about a month old) .. I have been thinking about making a feeder tank.. One of my tanks is a 30 gal with a aquatech 30-60 and under gravel.. and its empty. I was hoping to make it a cihclid tank, but a feeder tank would probably be better suited for me, my wallet, and my aros tummy.
I have read about beef heart.. do you just buy that at walmart?
I do feed him mostly feeders/meat.. After all this I might just go to pellets though.. I dunno, so many options...
Does any one have a really monsterous fish? I'm wandering what I am going to feed this guys when hes full grown. :roll:

Heh, before you even think about what to feed em, have you considered where you are going to put the 125g tank? Tis the minimum recommended size for an adult arowana.

Do you happen to be running CO2 for your plants? That can sometimes get stinky like you describe. Otherwise, I think it is the shrimp. I wholehartedly endorse a gupper feeder tank, which is enjoyable itself, in its own way, and then you have healthy feeder fish and no overpopulation of guppies (or mollies, or whatever), so everybody wins.

Back
Top Bottom