HOB filter issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mephistopheles

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was planning on using an Aquaclear MINI HOB filter (100 gph) to filter my 10 gal FOWLR (damsels when I get them) tank, but during cycling, the impellar has shown a tendency to jam up. Is this an occurance I should expect or is there something I should be looking for. Perhaps sand getting sucked up? I just bought this thing.

Have you inspected the impellar. I could see a small flaw such as a plastic spur causing this. Otherwise try exchanging it.

What are your plans for stocking? 10g is pretty small for even one damsel. Is a 20-30g an option. Other than the difference in tank cost there would not be much more cost for equipment and it will give you more room for stocking. Even with 30g I would not suggest more than 2-3 damsels though.

Other wise here is a link to some fish that might be more appropriate for a nano system:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

HTH,

Just one damsel and probbly some snails/crabs. They'll only be in there for about 3 months and then they have to be moved to my 30 gallon cube at home (this is a classroom tank, does that help clarify?)

Back
Top Bottom