HOB placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abiduwhabi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I have done a little research but have been getting some mix opinions and I'm not even for sure if it matters.

I have two Aquaclear 70's on the back of my 55 gallon tank. I have it line up as so.

____X_______X____

They are in the middle of each side. Now what I have noticed is that this creates sort of a whirl pool effect and all of the poo on the sand and the duckweed on the surface get sent to the back middle of the tank.

Should I leave them as is, grab a powerhead and point it toward the middle of the tank to get rid of this dead spot, or is there another way I should have my filters situated to prevent this.

Some people have suggested

XX_____________

I thought that the one with the HOBs on the sides was ingenius, of course it doesn't really help the looks of the tank very much.

Try moving them a little closer together. It seems to me, anywhere you place an HOB you get a dead spot. I just added a power head to keep things moving. I am planning on adding a second one to my tank. It will be interesting to see what people suggest.

I have two AC50s in a 20g long (yeah, a bit much) and I first had it like this:

__X_______X__

But the one on the left was too close to some dwarf sag (keep sucking up leaves in the intake) so I changed it to this:

______X___X__

You would think that there would be an accumulation of waste in the left corner but there is not for some reason. BTW I use waste (plant debris, fish poo, etc) to help determine water flow pattern. The tank has quite a few plants in it and debris tends to accumulate only along the back wall. Since the turnover is about 20x, I'm not too concerned about dead spots since this is a primarily a planted tank with some fish present (7 longfin danios + 4 gold tetras).

Ideally I would want an HOB at each end of the tank facing each other but off set enough so that a swirl pattern would occur at the surface. Due to the lighting setup this canny be done.

I agree with the other post about adding a powerhead to remove any dead spots.

Hmm I might have to try that setup. My only concern with that is my back wall is covered in plants, might make it hard to vacuum, I'll see though.

Either way a powerhead is in my forcible future.

My only concern with that is my back wall is covered in plants, might make it hard to vacuum, I'll see though.

I have not vacuumed the tank in almost a year! I do stir up the muck from time to time and let the HOB filters catch whatever is suspended. During water changes I place the hose near the surface and remove most of the debris on the bottom, especially in the back and hard to reach areas.

Back
Top Bottom