HOB vs Canister for 40Gal Breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I think its between the Fluval FX5 and Fluval 405. I like having a lot of filtration in the tank since its going to represent a river type. Would I need a powerhead if I had one of these? The FX5 is only $60 more and filters 4x as more, but will everything get sucked into it?

Thanks for all your help everyone, I am grateful for all your responses!

An FX5 would be overkill on a 40 gallon, too much flow. You can have too much flow, but not too much filtration, just more than enough.

If you got something like a Fluval 405 you shouldn't need a powerhead, so at least don't buy them at the same time.

An FX5 would be overkill on a 40 gallon, too much flow. You can have too much flow, but not too much filtration, just more than enough.

If you got something like a Fluval 405 you shouldn't need a powerhead, so at least don't buy them at the same time.

That is exactly what I was trying to figure out! Thanks so much for all your help and knowledge. I really am grateful! :)

So I guess I am going to stick to a Fluval 405 then! Now I just need to figure out what media for it lol

Hold on to the carbon they give you, you may need it later but shouldn't need it all the time.

You can use the Biomax that comes with it, but I wouldn't buy more. Seachem Matrix has more bioavailable surface area and may allow for denitrification. I would fill the top three trays with biomedia. Since the water goes down the slide-in tray that holds their foam (course mechanical) and then goes up the four stacking trays the bottom tray should hold fine mechanical/polishing media. This gets all that out before the water goes through the biomedia. I use 100% polyester pillow stuffing (no microbicides or anything) and cram it in to the bottom tray as tight as I can get it. This is a cheap and very effective fine mechanical/polishing media.

Back
Top Bottom