Home built pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyvinWolf

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've posted pics of the pond before landscaping and after getting it done, but none of the initial work. So, here are some pics. I look back at it now and think, "good golly I did that?!?!" :)

image-1732264665.jpg

Initial hole dug by me and my John deer tractor

image-1023470222.jpg

The boards were laid out to help visualize and keep sides for caving in from the puppy! Those are 8' boards on the top.

image-2786173064.jpg

Placing the water fall and skimmer. Having to keep in mind that I am building on a slope.

image-3916345966.jpg

View from skimmer side to water fall and house.

image-3258243202.jpg

Figuring out where to put the uv light and tubes.

image-280120603.jpg

Laying out the plastic liner and underpayment, trimming ect.

image-884564056.jpg

Laying out the tubing from the pump, located in the skimmer to the falls, around the pond and existing plants.

image-3164285077.jpg

Getting the falls attached to the liner.

image-2275354454.jpg

Getting the skimmer attached to the liner.

image-1703622190.jpg

Making the bog pond (which my dad thought was a cave in and pulled out, so I had to go realign it all again!

image-3561710270.jpg

View from the front porch. This was early march I believe.

image-2517311636.jpg

Filled, running, got some kinks worked out. Imaging it finished.

image-3313531142.jpg

Finished!! Well nearly, still a few details to add but I am quite happy to have done this myself. My dad helped put in the electrical, mom was moral support, friends donated rocks and bricks. And the pup has only been in it 3 times...before the koi were in!

That's awesome. Would love to do a pond here, it never stays cold very long, so as long as I put in a heater/depp pools it would be ok. Are you going to run a natural filtration with yours, ie pump thru a planted water garden with cat tails, etc, or just aw natural? And any problem with critters where you live? My ex GF (along time ago) had a huge goldfish pond and they bred faster than we could count, but the raccoons kept the number in check.

It's a bio falls that I am using and the bog pond only gets part of the water, it does have dirt in it and some plants.

As for critters, we have lots, but the pond is located in my front yard which is also designated the "dog pound" since we let the dogs run out there most of the time. Big dogs. So we don't get critters. We don't even have a problem with rabbits in the veggie garden.

Back
Top Bottom