Home projects....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, it's getting closer to my starting of doing several home projects. One of which I have now started. First, I have a stump in the front yard that I thought would be cool as a flower bed. Well, after about an hour of drilling and chiseling, I thought, I'm not going to be able to chisel out the entire stump,lol. So I decided to do several smaller holes, each about 8-10 inches wide, and about 8-10 inches deep. I'm also putting drain holes in the bottom so the water doesn't drown the roots. After putting in the holes and the drains, I put some crushed rock in to help keep the drain holes from getting plugged by dirt. Then I put in some potting soil, then I took some potted plants and placed them in the hole, and used more potting soil around the edges to fill it in. Worked out pretty well so far. I did 3, and got 2 more to do. I think I'm going to Lowe's and getting a larger corkscrew bit, the 1/2" bit I have does awsome, just not quite big enough.. :oops:

The other 2 projects are fixing my 2 fences, as well as putting in a retaining wall to keep my neighbors driveway from eroding into my yard, as well as his fence, lol. And with that project, you will see the pics of the cactus I have to move, lol. Will be interesting.

Well, here's some pics.....

First, the tree stump project...
stump1.jpg

stump2.jpg

stump3.jpg

stump4.jpg

stump5.jpg

Here's where the retaining wall will go. Pics of the cactus I will have to move...
cactus1.jpg

cactus2.jpg

cactus3.jpg

cactus4.jpg

cactus5.jpg

cactus6.jpg

Now here's a couple pics of the bamboo bush I have in the front yard. Each year I cut it down to the ground, and each year, it comes up bigger and fuller. I love it. Also, this is the fence that I will be cutting down to a 4ft fence. It's the front yard fence, and it's just over 6 feet, lol. Was that way when I bought the house.

bamboo1.jpg

bamboo2.jpg

bamboo3.jpg

Uh oh, your "bamboo tree" looks suspiciously like Japanese knotweed, which is an extremely invasive plant. Didn't know it was out west, too. It is pretty (it was originally brought to the US as a garden plant) but it is trying to take over the world out here, it grows extremely fast and crowds everything else out. We macheted it down about 8 times last summer at work (to the ground!) and every time it would grow back to 4-5' high and flower....we didn't even stunt it!

Love the tree-stump flowerpot....what a great idea!

Yes, it does look similar, from what I researched. The only thing, mine doesn't flower. So I'm not really sure what it is. I always thought bamboo because it's hollow.

I was thinking of doing an Ivy plant, or something like that, but not sure. Just doing a couple different plants to see how it looks, then will decide on what plants to actually use. I like the Coleus, or however it's spelled. It's the one with the red in the leaves.

OMG, this morning on my way to work, I was sitting at a stoplight and looked over and saw a little business with several tree-stump-as-planters with GORGEOUS flowers spilling out of them. I had never seen that before and then while waiting there literally thought out how they did it--drilling into the stump--and wondered how they managed to drill out a whole "pot" size. Maybe they did what you're doing.

Anyway...yours looks awesome so far! Ivy would be good spaced out because it will eventually spread around whatever else you plant. Plus it will come back every year and continue to spread (which could be good or bad).

Did you ever decide what to do with all of white quartz (or did I miss the thread)?

I still have the white quartz. Still not sure exactly how I'm going to use it, but I know it will eventually be used, hehe....

That stump planter is to cool, gonna look great when it fills in. Sounds like I'm commenting on one of your planted tanks!
Good work, to bad I'm not closer to you, I've got a few nice drill bits used for plumbing that would have chewed that stump up nice. :)

Back
Top Bottom