Homemade Lighting Setup Question w/Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Black96WS6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I tried searching for this, and while I did find lots of useful info, none that quite pertained to my question, so here goes:

Background:
When I purchased my tank a few years ago, I had only the intention of a predator tank with some rock, wasn't even sure to have live rock or not, so I just went with a basic fish lighting setup, a Coralife 50/50 T8 15Watt.

Now, however, I currently have a FOWLR setup, and would like to move up to mushrooms. I am saving up for a nice coralife pro aqualight, in the $200-300 range.

While at Wal-Mart today, I happened to see 2 things: a 24" 75Watt effective (17 Watt actual) plant growth T8 fluorescent for $9.96, and a 100W effective (25W actual) power compact fluorescent 6500K for $5, plus a $5 lamp/socket/wiring kit.

I put the 24" light over the tank and it really brightened it up, so much so that I'm not sure I even need the power compact fluorescent, which is REALLY bright (see photos) below.

Now, I know these lights don't have the the blue actinic lighting, however I thought this would be better than just the 15Watt 50/50 on there, to keep things growing until I can get the aqualight.

Will this type of lighting cause a problem with any of the polyps, coraline, etc because it doesn't have the corresponding blue? Or will the depth of the water decrease the need for ths?

Also, should I put the power compact on as well?

Here's the tank with the 24" T8 setup:
T8%20Fluor2.JPG

Here's the power compact next to it for comparison:
Power%20Compact.JPG

And here's how I put it together:
LightingSetup.JPG

I have used that 100w bulb for a fuger before. Not sure it will penetrate very far. Shrooms don't need a ton of light though. Do you know what K value the other fixture's bulbs are? Might not be the right spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom