Honey Guarami Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlbanyFishGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello there my guaramis recently began breeding and we have been sort of trying to raise them on the fly. We have certainly lost MANY from multiple batches for all kinds of different reasons. So we kept researching, refining and trying new techniques. So my question is what are some tips from people who have had success? Container size? Timeline? Food? Etc etc. currently we have 8 juveniles from the breeding pair. Let me know of any suggestions!

If you are breeding small species of gourami, use a tank that is 18-24 inches long.
If you are breeding bigger gouramis, use tanks that are 30 inches +, depending on the species. Some gouramis can reach 2 feet in length and need to be bred in large ponds.

They like soft slightly acidic water (GH below 100ppm and preferably below 50ppm) and a pH between 6.5 & 7.0. However, most captive bred fishes will breed in water that is a bit harder and has a slightly higher pH, but it's best to try and replicate their natural environment, which is soft slightly acidic water.

The water temperature should be around 26-30C for breeding, and the optimum temperature for rearing the babies is 28C. Have a cover on the tank and insulate the back and sides with polystyrene foam to help keep the tank warm.

The aquarium should have a layer of gravel or sand on the bottom, lots of floating plants, an air operated sponge filter, heater if required, and a coverglass. You need minimal surface disturbance for the males to build a bubblenest. If there is too much movement on the surface, the nest will be torn apart or the male simply won't build one. The water height should be about 8-12 inches for small species and 12-18 inches for medium size species. Floating plants help to provide a calmer surface and provide somewhere for the bubblenest to be built.

The male builds a bubblenest when he is ready to breed. He entices a female to the nest where she lays a few eggs and he fertilises them. Then the male (and sometimes the female) collect up the eggs and put them in the bubblenest to develop. After the female has shed all her eggs, she is driven away from the nest and the male guards the nest and developing eggs. Depending on the species, the size of the aquarium, and the number of plants in the tank, the female can sometimes be left with the male. However, if the tank is small or the male is being aggressive to the female, she should be moved to another tank.

The babies hatch after a few days and are kept in the bubblenest for a few more days. Sometimes the babies fall out of the nest and hang on the side of the tank or on plants. When they start swimming about, you can feed them on green water, infusoria or boiled egg yolk. The link below tells you how to make these things.

The male will continue to look after the babies for the first few weeks after they swim around. Eventually he stops looking after them and builds a new bubblenest. When this happens, you should remove the babies so he doesn't kill the young males.

The rearing tank needs a coverglass to keep the air warm for the babies when they start to develop their labyrinth organ. If they start breathing in cold air, it can kill them.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish-380381.html#post3578561

Thanks for that! What you described is pretty much identical to what we have experienced. We leave the female dwarf honey guarami in the tank as the breeders are in a community tank rather than their own. The other fish dont seem to bother him, if they get too close for his comfort hell dart at them but does not usually do so with intent to hurt, but more as a warning. He is the suspect in a neon tetra death right after the first nest though...but since then no problems as we have been keeping an eye. As for the female, shes relegated to the other side of the tank and if she gets to even midway in the tank he shoots out at her. She has never had injury though, and at times almost seems to be instigating lol. We worried about her in there at first but have had no issues with multiple spawns in that regard. Tank is also heavily planted with a cave covered in java moss that she kind of hides behind. Very entertaining to watch the whole process. I even got luck enough to get some awesome video of them "cupping" (see bottom)

Thank you for the "recipes" as well. This was a struggle for sure at first. We have hikari first bites but even those seemed a little big for them. The fry are SO TINY! we were removing them as soon as they were free swimming. I feel terrible each time as the male searches leaves and everything nearby for hours after :/. He actually assists in removing them as any fry who fall or come free, he sucks up and spits them back out onto one of the many surface floaters. We have live BBS as well but they need to be a few weeks before theyll eat them. We have been wanting to try infusoria for awhile and the egg yolk seems like itd be pretty straightforward. The green water approach i just recently learned about. It seems so foreign to put algae in a tank rather than remove lol but i understand why its used as its small enough for them to eat.

Any suggestions on best way to remove/transport them from the tank? It can be tough to get them out. We use a net/plastic container, turkey baster combo lol

Also noticed youre on quite a few threads to say the least haha. You appear on a number of threads in a crazy broad array of topics. Just out of curiosity, whats your story? You clearly know a TON about this hobby. Its always great to have someone like you as a resource!!

Here is the cupping in action [emoji16][emoji7]

Sorry having trouble adding an attachment. The screen just comes up blank...

Any suggestions on best way to remove/transport them from the tank? It can be tough to get them out. We use a net/plastic container, turkey baster combo lol

Also noticed you're on quite a few threads to say the least haha. You appear on a number of threads in a crazy broad array of topics. Just out of curiosity, what's your story? You clearly know a TON about this hobby. It's always great to have someone like you as a resource!!

I prefer to leave the babies with dad until they are a month old. By that time, they are swimming around exploring and dad is starting to lose interest in them. Then use a couple of nets and catch them out and move them to another aquarium to finish growing up. In a big tank you can sometimes leave the babies with the parents but if the adults breed again, the older fry will usually eat the new babies.

Andy and Aiken are quite knowledgeable too. When I first joined this forum and saw some of Aiken's posts, I thought he might have been someone I trained, but I don't think he is. But if I was going to open a pet shop, Aiken and Andy would be the first two people I ask to work for me. Aiken is great with water quality, filter cycling, and helping people out. Andy is also good and knows a lot about everything fish related (and monkeys too). You will have to ask him about his pet monkey that did rude things in the shop. As for me, I worked in pet shops, importers and aquaculture facilities, and I had a fish room for a while where I kept pretty much anything I could get. I used to collect fish and other aquatic organisms for a few shops as well as my own tanks. Was in various fish clubs over the years and have been hanging out on fish forums since the internet became available to the average person (Windows 95). Currently getting old and tired and trying to teach people as much as possible before I kick the bucket.

Andy and Aiken are quite knowledgeable too. When I first joined this forum and saw some of Aiken's posts, I thought he might have been someone I trained, but I don't think he is.

Im not someone you trained. My mentor in a roundabout way (ie via social media and occasional video call) was Thomas Burton who used to front up Big Als youtube channel before he was fired, and he now presents on Bulk Reef Supplys youtube channel. I was actually more often in contact with Brian who was Big Als youtube producer, but Brian isnt really a fish guy.

Thanks for the offer of a job, but i dont think id make the requirement for an aussie visa, although Perth is my 2nd favourite city and i would love to live there. Id spend my days enjoying a few schooners of Little Creatures Pale Ale at their bar in Freo.

While i would enjoy working in the aquatics industry i dont think i would suit working in a store. I would quite like to do tank maintenance, but ive never found a way to make it pay despite a few enquiries for me to look after tanks. Id need more than 1 or 2 clients.

Working with tanks is what i enjoy most, rather than the actual fish. Setting up tanks, half assed attempts at aquascaping, changing water, filter maintenance etc. Maybe a bit weird, but i actually enjoy doing some manual tasks.

Back
Top Bottom