Hood suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haileyjade

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm slowly gathering equipment for a 20 high and was wondering if anyone could suggest a decent hood/light. I used silk plants for a lot of years and have since traded them in for low light live ones. I don't think I need anything super fancy but definitely would appreciate some input! Looking to spend around $50ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Low light? Current sat plus with a glass top! Not $50..to save a couple bucks you could skip the glass top and using lighting diffuser grid..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm slowly gathering equipment for a 20 high and was wondering if anyone could suggest a decent hood/light. I used silk plants for a lot of years and have since traded them in for low light live ones. I don't think I need anything super fancy but definitely would appreciate some input! Looking to spend around $50ish.

Petco. Look for a duratop. Not pricey. Won't go back. If nothing for your tank tank measurements and hit Lowes. I think they cut plexi. Get two pieces cut to fit. Was thinking of doing this when I upgrade

For light the sat lights are cheap like brook said. He won't steer you wrong. I got a great fluval at Petco but it was mismarked like 100$ cheaper and I charmed the manager who I was lucky was woman. Not saying if it was a guy I still would not have tried charming. Either way look to spend at least 100 to 150

Then diy some co2.... My strange addiction!!!!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Low light? Current sat plus with a glass top! Not $50..to save a couple bucks you could skip the glass top and using lighting diffuser grid..

Yep, low light. I've got Java fern, anubias, Java moss and some sad looking wisteria at the moment. Was hoping to try an Amazon sword with this tank, maybe.

Diffuser grid...gonna have to google that!

Looked at the satellite plus on Amazon...it's a little more than I was looking to spend but not terribly so. Plus, prime! Gonna read up. Thanks!

Petco. Look for a duratop. Not pricey. Won't go back. If nothing for your tank tank measurements and hit Lowes. I think they cut plexi. Get two pieces cut to fit. Was thinking of doing this when I upgrade

For light the sat lights are cheap like brook said. He won't steer you wrong. I got a great fluval at Petco but it was mismarked like 100$ cheaper and I charmed the manager who I was lucky was woman. Not saying if it was a guy I still would not have tried charming. Either way look to spend at least 100 to 150

Then diy some co2.... My strange addiction!!!!!!!

Not even sure if I have a Lowes within 300 miles of me lol. Pretty rural here. I'm not far from the Foster and Smith retail outlet though, they've probably got some reasonably priced glass tops.

Oh co2...the final frontier lol. I've tried to read up about it, as I really love the look of carpeted tanks, but I think someone's gonna have to explain it to me like I'm 5. So not my element!

Hmm...this seems nice too! I'll read up on it. Thank you!

I like the idea of a diy plexiglass as somebody suggested.

At least you won't have to worry about it fitting. I had gone out and bought a $50 +/- filter, get home break off the tabs on the back for HOB filter and realize it would rock back and forth on center support. argh.

Good luck

Plexiglass and acrylic make horrible tops..

Plexiglass and acrylic make horrible tops..

Mine is an acrylic duratop and it's great. Why do you day that?

The acrylic has to be fairly thick. I am using a sheet of it as a lid for my 3g tank and after it sits for a while it absorbs some water and warps so I have to flip it around.

Mine is an acrylic duratop and it's great. Why do you day that?

Prefab fine...diy I've made have warped horribly

The acrylic has to be fairly thick. I am using a sheet of it as a lid for my 3g tank and after it sits for a while it absorbs some water and warps so I have to flip it around.

Have them cut vertically not horizontally. Not sure that makes sense.

Have them cut vertically not horizontally. Not sure that makes sense.

Aside from the fact that it's a bit of a pain to cut with an acrylic knife, I know next to nothing about working with acrylic. So no, that didn't really make sense :D

Aside from the fact that it's a bit of a pain to cut with an acrylic knife, I know next to nothing about working with acrylic. So no, that didn't really make sense :D

My Lowes cuts glass and plexi. Have them cut the short span of back to front rather than one or two long spans side to side. Use thicker plexi to.
When I was going to upgrade my tank size I was going to use my 29 duratop and cut some plexi pieces around it.

Plexi is getting really pricey tho

Back
Top Bottom