hooking up wet/dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.


Aquarium Advice Newbie
Feb 13, 2006
Hi, I am new to saltwater. I have ordered a 92 gallon corner tank with built in overflow with 2 holes drilled in the bottom. I also ordered a proclear pro 150 wet/dry with protein skimmer. I hope I will know how to hook it up when I get it fri. I would like to know if I have the right idea of this filter works.

The tank will overflow through the holes on the overflow bow, going down the box through the hole in the bottom . Then this is when I get confused, will it go into the area with the skimmer or onto the bio balls first? Then will I return the water with a pump submerged in the open chamber through the other hole in the tank, then back out the top. This is how I picture it.

Also should I put something in overflow box to filter too?

Please let me know if this is even close to being correct or if it sound like I am forgetting something.

Thank You, Jeff
The piping from the overflow box should go into the bioballs. It will fall from there to the skimmer chamber, where there should be a seperate pump running the skimmer, then from there to the return pump.

You could consider putting a standpipe in the overflow box to reduce noise, but I wouldn't put any filtration there; except if you have nudibarchs likely to get trapped inside, you might put a large sponge over the opening. Search for "durso standpipe" or "stockman standpipe" if you're interested in standpipes.

Have you considered running the wet/dry without bioballs? If you have 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon of water, and plenty of circulation, the bioballs are not really necessary, and just another maintenance step to keep them clean.
I know that the tank comes with a megaflow overflow kit. Do you think it will come with a standpipe or is this something I need to purchase seperate?

Thanks for making things a little clearer for me, Jeff
Is that the "MEGAFLOW ACCESSORY KIT"? That does come with all the parts you need for a standpipe. The design of the megaflow makes a standpipe more important, because it is not a true overflow, and can drain the aquarium when the power goes out if no standpipe is installed. The standpipe that comes with the Mafaflow acessory kit is a durso style standpipe, which reduces noise and regulates the water level in your aquarium.
Top Bottom