Hornwort Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kov

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got a mess of this a while back. Grows quickly, but does tend to turn brown near the bottom at times.

The real problem I have (aside from the shedding Rivercats warned me about) is that it continues to work free from the anchor I use and wind up floating around the tank in pieces...

I have a pliable metal band that came with it, and I will curl the band in a spiral placing pieces of the hornwort in between the metal as it spirals around. Seemed like it would work, but I think the bottom of the plant dies off and the rest works free.

Is there a better, more effective way to anchor this stuff?

Hornwort is one of those plants that just seems happy only if it's floating. I've known many people having trouble keeping it down. If you want a fine leafed plant like it but not as much of a hassle, try Ambulia (Limnophilia sassiliflora). Not messy, grows well in medium light, will root in substrate and is a true green color. Hornwort is a good floating plant for protecting baby fish. OS.

So quit fighting it, eh? Could I somehow anchor it at the surface with a suction cup hook or something so it's not everywhere, or just let it float freely?

I have an Aqueon Colormax Color-Enhancing fluorescent bulb, so I guess that's only going to be a low-light friendly fixture. Is there another choice for a tall plant that might do well in such conditions?

Thx,
Kov

Back
Top Bottom