how can i catch my plecos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
well i have a couple BN plecos on QT, and i know that you're not supposed to net them because of their armor getting stuck in the net. so how should i catch them when moving them to the big tank?

Make sure it's a clean jar, though!

(This is also a good method for bettas or other delicate-finned fish, not just the pointy-finned ones.)

alright. well one of them is about 1.25" (it's practically a baby) and the other is about 3".

ummm how exactly could i chase them into a jar? are there any methods to getting them to go in the jar at all?

try picking them up with ur hands ive seen it done somtimes at the lfs, the one knowledgeablew person did it becuase she didnt want to have them get caught in the net

Just dip the jar in the tank and herd them into it, or if they're suckered to something, slide the jar under their tail--they're likely to let go then--and scoop them up. You can even herd them into the jar with the net if they're actively swimming away, or just corner them. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick--just imagine the jar as a solid net.

I usually chase my BN into the corner with my hand, scoop my fingers under the substrate, and just lift up right below him with my fingers spread a bit to let sand/water through.

If you are going to use a jar, use a plastic jar. That way you can put some holes in it so that it is easier to slide it through the water.

Alternately, a small piece of PVC can also work quite well. Wait until the pleco enters, and then just cover both ends with your hands and lift.

Could also place an algae wafer in the back of the cup. They will find it rather quickly. When I drop algae wafers in my tank, they find them in less than a minute. :)

Oh, and I like the PVC recommendation above too, excellent recommendation. :)

yeah. the big one i'm not too worried about catching, it's the little guy...when you peer into the glass it literally ZOOMS away

tbonem91 said:
I use my hands to catch my plecos when needed :)
Arent plecos like catfish? Dont they have barbs that can poke or sting or something? Ive heard that they can hurt ya if you grab them with your bare hands.

JodiMartin2003 said:
tbonem91 said:
I use my hands to catch my plecos when needed :)
Arent plecos like catfish? Dont they have barbs that can poke or sting or something? Ive heard that they can hurt ya if you grab them with your bare hands.
well I dont "grab" them :)
my plecos for the most part will let me corral them into the palm of my hand and I can cup them a little and lift them out with no problem. I wouldnt want to grab onto any of my fish for fear of causing damage - and yes, they have barbs galore - especially my bristlenoses (nosi?)

I wouldnt make a habit out of holdinh your fish - especially pokey ones but this method has worked far better for me than fighting with the nets - cause in addition to their barbs getting caught up in the nets, sometimes plecos just dont fit or their plates themselves get stuck (velco-like) to the fabric.

I had an upside down catfish that got stuck in the net and we had to cut him out, then he had a peice of the net stuck around his side fin....i tried to get it off but couldnt, it fell off after about 2 weeks or so and he was no worse for wear. It did scare me enough to never try the net on him again.

Does your pleco have a favorite hiding place? Mine likes to hang out on the underside of a flat rock that makes a top to a "cave" we made for him. If he is hanging out there I can lift the rock clear out of the water and he just comes with it. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom