how can I keep my neons alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skargo2009

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not sure if this is the right category. Basically I bought 9 neon tetras on Wednesday and since then 2 have died.

They weren't showing any signs of illness when they were in the tank and they all ate straight away. Now I haven't lost anymore since Friday, but I want to know if there is anything I can do to make sure no more die.

Neons are so hit or miss. Basically twice as many as you'd like to have 3 months later. Or buy cardinal or green neons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As my tank has matured I find my neons are much more likely to mature.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Neons are so hit or miss. Basically twice as many as you'd like to have 3 months later. Or buy cardinal or green neons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yea blue neon jus sensitive like brookster buy twice as many

What are your tank parameters? Have you tested the water to see what conditions they are living in?

And yes, just plan that there might be a few deaths, they go through a lot to get to your tank.

Make sure you have the right temp. Your tank is cycled.

Start feeding a little lightly as to not increase the bioload immediately. Do extra water changes for the same reason. You just increased the load by 9-2 fish. maybe feed half as much as you might and divide that for am & pm feedings, they are probably young and could use additional feedings but not too much food to foul the water quality.

Keep an eye on water conditions, they can change over night (or by the time you get home from work) - very quickly.

What are your tank parameters? Have you tested the water to see what conditions they are living in?

And yes, just plan that there might be a few deaths, they go through a lot to get to your tank.

Make sure you have the right temp. Your tank is cycled.

Start feeding a little lightly as to not increase the bioload immediately. Do extra water changes for the same reason. You just increased the load by 9-2 fish. maybe feed half as much as you might and divide that for am & pm feedings, they are probably young and could use additional feedings but not too much food to foul the water quality.

Keep an eye on water conditions, they can change over night (or by the time you get home from work) - very quickly.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

Luckily no more have died and I still have 7 left

Those numbers sound good. Hopefully things were just an issue of transition.

Acclimation - getting them from the fish store water to your water...if you know what their water parameters are in the store, you can often see if they are like yours and know how similar the water is. I know if I get fish from one store it is pretty much identical but another store really high pH (mine is lower).

Do you add water from your new tank to the bag gradually?

As a rule of fish health always check water quality first along with basic stuff like tank temp (faulty heater) make sure the filter running, sometimes mine doesn't prime up and then just sits there spinning and getting hot after a power outage or surge.

When I bought a school of seven neons from a big-box store last spring, I lost six (literally one every day) in the first week. :( I then bought 10 more from a LFS and haven't lost any since, including the big box survivor, about 5 months now. (y)

It can be hit or miss with neons: if they're farm-raised, they're generally in better health and less subject to stress on their way to the store and your tank. If they're wild-caught, they're more likely to be unhealthy and are subjected to a lot more stress, and hence more fragile. If you can find out where your dealer gets his (farm-raised or wild), it something worth knowing.

Back
Top Bottom