how can I know if my otto needs food??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kostasonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought 2 ottos, 1 of them died i think injured when caught by the guy in my lfs...(always careful anyway..). Now I have 1 otto and I don't know if he needs food...He hungs around eating all the day but...

I have read that if he has round belly its ok. Actually it is round but still...I would like to be sure...

I don't think you ever can be sure if they need food or are hungry, one way of telling for sure is if they are thin. I did have 2 oto's in my tank but not knowing that the algae i had was spot algae they died. I later found out that spot algae is very tough and you can just about remove it with a razor blade, so the little guy's didn't have a chance.

If i were you i would try to supplement his diet, especially if he starts to look thin. I think they graze on lettuce when it's softer but definately do on cucumber.

I think it's best to have a small algae problem that is in a balance with the oto eating it.
One oto isn't going to need much food but having a little more then he needs will keep him happy and Fat!

HTH

My otos will eat algae wafers. I throw in one every night for them and the cories in my tanks just to be sure they have enough to eat.

I tried algae tabs and cucumbers in the quarentine tank but the otos were happy with the walls and plants (algae). But yes, as long as their bellies are "plump" they should be fine.

JustOneMore20 said:
My otos will eat algae wafers. I throw in one every night for them and the cories in my tanks just to be sure they have enough to eat.

"algae wafers"?? what is this? the algae sheets you can use to make japanese food??

No, those are actually a type of seaweed, not algae, used for making sushi etc.

Algae wafers are little round tabs the size and shape of perhaps a nickel.
Used specifically for feeding fish.

Back
Top Bottom