How can I remove thick algae off of decorations??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CiRXSi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have artificial plants in my tank, and the leaves are just coated with algae. The rocks aren't too bad, and they are easy to scrub. But putting elbow grease in each and every leaf is quite time consuming and tiring. Does anyone have a good solution I can soak these in that will make scrubing them off easier? Thanks for your help. ---CiRXSi

hydrogen peroxide and hot water. make a solution of that in container (larger enough to hold all of your plants that need cleaning) and let your plants soak over night. in the morning take them out, let them dry, then rinse and return to the tank. you might need to do a little scrubbing, but it shouldn't be much. this method works especially well for silk plants. keep in mind that the more hydrogen peroxide is used in the solution, the faster and better it works... if it's really bad, i would make a 2:1 or 3:1 solution (H2O:H2O)

HTH

I like algae.

I have one " Algae tank " that I keep my Tetra's in.

The rocks and all the fake plants are covered in a thick carpet of algae, I would post a pic.. but the true beauty just does not come through unless you see it with your own eyes.

[center:c6e8151292]:smilecolros: First, Welcome to AA.com!! :smilecolros: [/center:c6e8151292]
How large is your tank and what fish are in there now? Is your tank in direct sunlight?
I never have algae problems--none of the tanks are in direct sunlight and there are many different types of fish that will eat algae. Some of the cory cats in my community tank are taking care of my fake plants.

Thank you for the peroxide note. That's just what I need! I don't really have much I can do as far as algae eaters go in my community. First off, I'm not a personal fan of pleco's and suckers. I do love the oto's, but they are just too small. They'll get eaten. I think my 6.5 inch Pictus is responsible for the mysterious disappearance of my female betta. Thanks for the tips. I should've looked for this site long ago.

Back
Top Bottom