How can I tell when my angelfish are pairing off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwebb20

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone I have just recently purchased 6 angelfish. I was wandering what are the signs of them pair off together? And how long it can take?

The fish need to be at least 8-10 months of age, have a body size of at least a half dollar coin, and show a desire to remain together. If 2 fish do pair, the male of the 2 will start attacking the other fish in the tank to keep them away from "his gal". If you have a longer tank, you will see 2 fish on one side and all the rest of the fish on the other side of the tank. If the other fish don;t have a place to get away from the pair, there will be some damage to them as breeding males can be very territorial. It's always best to separate any potential pair or actual pair out of a community tank situation.
As for time frame, there is no set time frame. It's all according to your tank situation.

Hope this helps.

It does thank you very much would you happen to know the breed of my fish one looks a lot different then the others

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All of them are stripped like the second picture and this guy is an odd ball

Attachments

• 1394938118026.jpg
    1394938118026.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 1394938156781.jpg
    1394938156781.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 108
The one on the right is a Silver while the one on the left is called a Smokey. You can go to the Angelfish Society's Website and look at their Phynotype page to see the different color forms of Angelfish now recognized. theangelfishsociety.org

(y)

Are they both half backs or are the silvers zebras, veils im so curious on everything about them I am trying to learn everything I can sorry for being so over anxious

No, these are not half blacks. They are regular finned fish. There are 2 types of Zebras, A lighter phase and a Zebra lace which is a dark phase. Both fish, however, will have some spotting along with the stripes and Light phased zebras tend to also have additional stripes than the Silvers have.

Ok and these guys are around the size of a paper towel roll in body is this a mature size for breeding

Ok and these guys are around the size of a paper towel roll in body is this a mature size for breeding

What brand of paper towel?? :lol:
It's not about size as much as it is about age. There have been very small fish that have spawned and very big fish that haven't.
There is a lot more to breeding Angles than just having a mail and female. It's about water chemistry, routine, security, health, desire, etc. I strongly suggest you read through the thread "Wigglers at last!!!!" in this breeding forum. It is an ongoing thread by professionals and hobbyists all about breeding Angelfish. Pretty much everything you need to know to breed them successfully has been discussed on that thread. (y)

As for your last question about veiltails, please check out the Angelfish Society's page for colors, shapes, and forms.

Happy reading (y)

If they stay by each other all the time and the stay in a pacific area It depends on them when they will breed any ware from 1 week to 1 year typically if you notice strange behavior like this they will do it soon

Back
Top Bottom