How come my nitrates are reading 0ppm.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonnypro

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is about 6months old give or take. I just tested my levels and everything is fine but my nitrate levels say 0ppm. Is that even possible. I tested it 4 times with 2 different kits. My tank cycled a while ago. My stock is 2 clowns 2 algae blennies 5 assorted crabs a few turbos a few regular snails. Coral banded shrimp. Box fish. Feeder shrimp. Macro algae. Texedo urchin. Yellow tang. Sand sifting star. And another star I dont remember the name. My tank is a 135g with a 40g sump. Uv sterilizer phosband 150 reactor and a nac6 skimmer.

It is possible, my tank reads 0 nitrates but it is over a year and a half old. Do you have algae growing?

It is possible, my tank reads 0 nitrates but it is over a year and a half old. Do you have algae growing?
yes I do. I got a phosban reactor to help take out any phosphates in my water. I had green hair alage growing on sand and rocks.

yes I do. I got a phosban reactor to help take out any phosphates in my water. I had green hair alage growing on sand and rocks.

That could be where your nitrates are too. The hair algae is giving you a false 0.

If you are using a hobby grade test kit, this could be another explanation. People put way too much trust in them IMO.

If you are using a hobby grade test kit, this could be another explanation. People put way too much trust in them IMO.
api reef master test kit and I a saltwater kit.

api reef master test kit and I a saltwater kit.
I use the same kit and get 0 nitrates. It wasn't always zero.

I run a protein skimmer, do weekly water changes, have macro algae in sump fuge, run chemi pure elite and very low bio load.

I think it is possible or very close to it.

just a question here, but has anybody actually tested API against a known level of nitrates?? i know that people have tested them side by side with other "more accurate" test kits. but has anybody actually done a benchmark test on API?

I have found API's calcium test to be absurdly off. It was telling me i had a calcium level of 700 with no dosing. Salifert was giving me a 420.

I have found API's calcium test to be absurdly off. It was telling me i had a calcium level of 700 with no dosing. Salifert was giving me a 420.
ine have been spot on with calcium. Always 460 with 2 different brands if kits. I must ask you a different topic question. My tang has some nipped top fins. You know my stock it should be in the thread. Here is a pic.
ELEN8Hr.jpg
8QpWDOI.jpg

Not sure, especially if you aren't witnessing any aggression. How about fin rot? it could be a disease.
i never seen my coral banded shrimp on him. I know people say they will jump on them to clean them. They do hang out under the same rock.

Back
Top Bottom