How dark is the room you keep your fish in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NODAK1979

Aquarium Advice Activist
The guy who started the thread about a night light got me thinking....my bedroom, where my aquarium is, is ridiculously dark at night. I keep it that way because I love pitch black rooms to sleep in. If I can see where I'm walking at night, there's too much light. Even during the day, it's probably darker than most rooms people have because of our thick curtains we use to block light.

So the fish are basically in pitch black conditions with the sole exception of the tiny light on the heater which tells me if it's working or not. They must be able to see at night, like cats.

How about you?? When your aquarium lights aren't on, what's the room lighting like?

My 20g is in my living room, so there's still some light in the room while I'm still up. It's not pitch black when I go to bed either.

My 10g is in my computer / sports shrine room. I'm in there quite a bit late at night, but when I go to bed it is virtually pitch black. I'm currently cycling that tank right now, so I have time to reconsider how dark I want that room.

Most of my fish are nocturnal so they prefer a dark tank. :)
Just depends on your fish. I've got two huge windows in my room so they get a good amount of natural light even with the blinds closed.

My bedroom is pretty bright. I have beige shades, which I am going to replace for thicker darker ones for the summer. I live in Queens, and there is a street light right next to one of the two windows. My room is never even close to pitch black.

My bedroom is pretty bright. I have beige shades, which I am going to replace for thicker darker ones for the summer. I live in Queens, and there is a street light right next to one of the two windows. My room is never even close to pitch black.

I hear ya. I live in Chicago and there is a street light right across the street from me. Also have beige shades. needless to say, doesn't get very dark at night...

Most of my tanks are in the basement. It's pretty dark at night, but the fish don't seem to mind. I like to go down there with a small flashlight and watch my catfish roam.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom