How did people keep reef tanks in the olden days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even before internet. Where do ppl get informations keeping reefs alive?

I am from Malaysia I remember when I was young I saw this fish store have a saltwater tank for display the fishes were so colorful and the store owner just won't comment how to keep saltwater fish. They just won't share the knowledge and wanted to show-off their saltwater tank so having a saltwater tank is like a luxury back then (1980's). Most store back then only sell freshwater fish because they are easier to keep and you can hardly see any saltwater fish at all.

Thanks to internet the world of saltwater fish aquarias has changed ever since. There are even forums from Malaysia bringing fellow reefers together. Although I am currently resides in Australia I still visit those forums everyday. And of course needless to say Aquarium Advice Forum.

You guys have helped me a lot over the years and really appreciate and value your advices. Thanks!

I knew a man who had kept many sw fish over the past 30 years he said. All from lions to triggers to eels to octopus(good god) and others. Seemed quite knowledgeable. I asked him about what equipment he used and in the course of the discussion, he said that the equipemnt nowadays is much easier and simpler. Plus, information is more wisespread, as the saltwater hobby gains ground in the hobby world. He did mention that the best fish he kept were the volitans lionfish, as they were really tough to those conditions back then. Also, he said that keeping corals and many nowadays common invertebrates was rocket science back then! Guess the lights and knowledge of reef conditions were'nt exactly the same calibre as they are now!

and in 50 years from now, they'll have pressurized tanks for people that want really deep sea fish, like anglers.

and people will be on this very forum, and will look back to some of the post from 2006, and think: "wow, living back then, people couldnt keep deep sea fish or anything, just some clownfish and corals"

hc8719 said:
and in 50 years from now, they'll have pressurized tanks for people that want really deep sea fish, like anglers.

and people will be on this very forum, and will look back to some of the post from 2006, and think: "wow, living back then, people couldnt keep deep sea fish or anything, just some clownfish and corals"

Ohhhhhh I so cannot wait for that day ;)

Better have yourself a hefty ups on hand in case of power outtage

Better have yourself a hefty ups on hand in case of power outtage
They will probably have technology that won't need UPSs....

Back in the old, old, old days people went to the reef and snorkled! :)

I knew a guy who had SW tanks for a long time. He used to have the typical SW fish with coral skeletons and either the hob filters or gravel filters he said just like the FW stuff. It was hard back then. They didn't even have MH lights or even VHOs.

Back
Top Bottom