how do I cool the water down for changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this is a strange question but how would you cool the water? the water coming outta the tap was 82F this morning, during the summer it can be in the upper 80's. The water comes out of the ground at 115F because of the depth of the aquifer we use and the way it is cooled can only get to ambient air temperature at best during the summer before it heads to the distribution system.

so, if I/you have to do a large water change, ie 15 gallons, how would I do this change? Have three or four 5 gallon buckets laying around then ice it down to the temp of the tank water?

You could always pre-water the buckets for the following week. At least then they will be about room temp before going in. Make sure you put lids on them as you would not want extra goodies going in the water while they were sitting around.

I do my water changes with gallon jugs that I fill a day ahead of time so the water gets to room temp.

Trickle fill the tank so the temp change is gradual
Like use airline tubing and let it slowly siphon into the tank.
The temp will variate but the airline tubing is small enough that the temp balances out pretty well within an hour or so. I have a 75 gallon
This is how I did it before I got a python

Back
Top Bottom