How do i cycle my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so this weekend I am getting my 20 long, I'm putting the gravel, the root piece, driftwood, the filter and anacharis plants , amazon sword plant, and anubius, how exactly do I cycle my tank for a week

Ok, so this weekend I am getting my 20 long, I'm putting the gravel, the root piece, driftwood, the filter and anacharis plants , amazon sword plant, and anubius, how exactly do I cycle my tank for a week

Depends if you're patient and are happy to do a fish-less cycle or prefer just to start throwing fish in and do a fish in-cycle.

A fishless cycle will take longer than that unless you're putting filter media from an established tank in there. There are stickies on here about how to do fishless and fish in cycles.

Most likely neither would cycle in two weeks. I am on week five and I am only four days into 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. I did a fish in cycle, but it required multiple days of two 50-60% water changes to keep the fish alive.

Be patient and do the fish less cycle for less stress. And follow the advice you find on these articles. These folks know what they are doing.

If anyone you know has an established aquarium that you can get filter media from or if you can get some from your lfs that would really help cut down on how long it takes to cycle

established media

If anyone you know has an established aquarium that you can get filter media from or if you can get some from your lfs that would really help cut down on how long it takes to cycle

how long do you have before that dies? i got to the lfs today and they had a tank that had JUST today been broken down into parts, i got most of it before he had picked it apart to resell per peice at a massive profit (greedy so and so) but there was water still in everything, so im thinking the bacteria that were established (4 very huge healthy fish in the 55g) are ok? going to put plants in and leave it to run for a week, then see how one of my hardy fish does in there to make sure everything is ok before stocking but since i got all three filters fully established, shouldn't be long right?

by the way, i have done now 2 tanks fish in cycles never lost a fish, however if its small you can do the water changes but i dont want to waste water on a 55g !! :rolleyes:

Ok, so I guess I can do three weeks of cycling, and then add my fish, thanks

im not sure were you are getting that from, but unless you have established filter media from someone else a full cycle will take anywhere from 4-8 weeks depending on alot of things.

if you do a fishless cycle for only 3 weeks and then just start adding your fish, you will then just start doing a fish in cycle that could cause alot of problems, and you will end up having to do almost daily water changes to keep the fish alive and healthy (if you dont they may live but will have permanent gill damage from the ammonia). My advice would be to be patient and do a full fishless cycle and save yourself alot of headaches and the possibility of unhealthy fish

if you dont want to be paitent which seems to be the case, find some established filter media, or goto here

Aquarium Sponge Filters

and get yourself one of the active filters, as they have established BB on them already. Ive used these to cycle my tank in only 1 week. if you do this do 1 day shipping to ensure the BB make the trip alive

You can not put an exact timeline on this as it is based on when your water tests at 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom