How do I do this tank for shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leatherback1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok,so here's the plan. I have a small 1 gallon tank that I am currently using for fry,but in a few months they will be added to my main tank.I don't plan on getting more fry to put in there,but I don't want to have an empty tank siting around.If I used it for fish I could only add one 1" fish.Can I do a sort of goldfish tank or something?I think shrimp would be cool,but I have absolutely no idea what to do with shrimp.Help?

So when the fry aren't there's then I can just add some java moss and buy shrimp?Heres a few pics of the tank.Also how many shrimp could I add?

Attachments

• image-134646599.jpg
    image-134646599.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 141
  • image-817679320.jpg
    image-817679320.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 130
  • image-2405627825.jpg
    image-2405627825.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 141
  • image-1497235853.jpg
    image-1497235853.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 128
  • image-2525646787.jpg
    image-2525646787.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 111
You couldn't add any fish but shrimp would work well. Start off with 5 or so. Whatever you do, do not add a goldfish. They get very large and produce a lot of waste. Not suitable for a 1g tank.

shrimp need real plants, you would have to remove the fake ones and plant some live plants, then get 5-10 shrimps. if you have decent filtration you should be able to keep 20ish in a 1 gallon. I have 50+ in my 2.5 gallon, lol

shrimp need real plants, you would have to remove the fake ones and plant some live plants, then get 5-10 shrimps. if you have decent filtration you should be able to keep 20ish in a 1 gallon. I have 50+ in my 2.5 gallon, lol

If I did a small java moss carpet (DIY)with regular gravel and let it grow for a while could I add shrimp?

Also which shrimp should I add?I hear a lot of people like red cherry shrimp .

Dd you ever figure out which kind of shrimp to get? I just got ghost shrimp yesterday in a month or so will be getting some red cherry shrimp when I move the ghost shrimp into my main tank.

cherry is a good starting shrimp. They are super hardy and can live thru lots of range of water. But yea a moss carpet will be great. They love moss, because moss has the most surface area out of any plant, and they grow bio film like insane.

cherry is a good starting shrimp. They are super hardy and can live thru lots of range of water. But yea a moss carpet will be great. They love moss, because moss has the most surface area out of any plant, and they grow bio film like insane.

Great!Im so excited I will be ordering java moss online to create a carpet .Do any of you know a good site to buy it from

I just realized that in the 1g it has an undergravel filter.Would that harm the shrimp in any way?

undergravel is fine. but i've heard that it's not good for plants with heavy roots. i know you're getting java moss, but it's also recommended that you get some other hardy plants such as java fern and anubias.

Well I have had experience with java fern so I guess I'll buy 2 of those and attach them to some sort of small ornament.How much watts do I need in the light?Im not sure how mm any lights the one I have is.

Well I have had experience with java fern so I guess I'll buy 2 of those and attach them to some sort of small ornament.How much watts do I need in the light?Im not sure how mm any lights the one I have is.

you don't need to be bothered by the amount of light in this setup as long as there's some source of light

Well I just checked the info on it the light is 5watt

The wattage isn't nearly as important as the color spectrum of the bulb. Typically you'd want anything over 5500k, 6500k + would be ideal for plant growth.

You should be fine with the UGF just choose plants that can be attached to wood and rocks.

The wattage isn't nearly as important as the color spectrum of the bulb. Typically you'd want anything over 5500k, 6500k + would be ideal for plant growth.

You should be fine with the UGF just choose plants that can be attached to wood and rocks.

yes, the spectrum of light is true for plants that are demanding. but since we're talking anubias and java ferns then we don't have to worry about it. in fact, these plants will grow from the lights from the surrounding

Back
Top Bottom