How do i get my goldfish to grow nice and big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi have just adopted a Blackmoor fish and will be upgradeing my tank soon. The new black moor i adopted is very BIG he is about 17cm/6" long from head to tail. He is being housed in a 42gallon with 1 other back moor and a calico fantail they are only 6months old and about 3inches long. I have a few questions. How much do i have to feed the bigger blackmoor i currently only feed the 2 little ones once a day. Also how do i get my fish to grow that big. And i would like to upgrade to a fairly big tank 70gallons ideally would that be ideal for four fantail fish? All my three fish including the new adopted Moor are in good condition. My baby black moor has a bend in his back tail his had it always apart from that they are in good health have 50%water changes i feed brocoli, peas and aparasgus. Pellets, bloodworms and shrimp. Live foods occasionally. They have a 350 Ehiem external filter and a 2012 Ehiem pick up filter. Anything else i can do apart from upgrade tank to help them grow BIG!! I i upgrade i would want one more calico fantail

Lots of water changes and lots of food!! Feeding once a day, especially for young juveniles, is a starvation diet and will prevent adequate growth as any food resources are being utilized for survival. Young, growing juveniles should be fed a minimum of three times a day but four times would be better. Veggies do not count as a 'meal'. Big water changes often will keep toxin and hormone levels low to help encourage further growth. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

put them in a pond or kiddy pool outside , i don't know how big black moors get but comets will get to about 50lb

I don't have any comets I only have 3 fancy goldfish one is an adult black moor already 6inches I adopted him. And the other two are still babies black moor and a calico fantail. The calico fantail is bigger than the baby black moor I am wondering if that is because he always eats more cause he swims abit faster than the black moor. I thought it was bad to overfeed goldfish. Why I thought you were meant to only feed once a day. I will up there feeding to 3 times a day. :)

I guess if I up there food intake I should up there water changes I only water change 50% every 5-6days

I would love to put them in a kiddy pool but I live in a flat. I am looking up 4ft tanks 300 litre tanks to upgrade too. They are in a 42gallon at mo. As I said the adult black moor I took on as a friend said he was on his own and he was in a ridiculously small tank 10g if that. So I felt sorry for him and said I would rehome him. So I have to upgrade cause originally I only wanted two in the 42gallon so they had lots of space to grow and swim. But I think I will always want fancy goldfish they are my fav ive discovered so I want to buy a new 60-70gallon tank.

If you have an electronic scale, you can feed two percent of their body weight. Also, jlk is right in that you should feed multiple times a day and veggies are snacks. ^_^ In fact, if you keep duckweed, they will have snacks all day

cool I've started feeding them more. Should I do small amounts 3 times aday. I do find no matter how much I put in Hoggle my Calico will ensure its all eaten so nothing sit in the tank lol he eats so much. The two black moors take longer to the find the food so they don't seem to eat as much. I do have to kind of hand feed the larger Black moor he doesn't seem to see the food it takes him ages but when he comes to the surface if I drop food directly infront of his face he eats two or 3 pellets at a time. He's a big guy :) with a big mouth

Back
Top Bottom