How Do I Get Rid of Copper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwing

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 125 g tank that I suspect has some copper in the water. I have added some Turbo snails which have quickly died. I also have some zoos and mushrooms that aren't doing very well. My water tests out 0 ammo, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate, 0 Phosphates, SG 1.022, Temp is 80. After reading all I could find it seems that I may have a copper problem in that I didn't fill my tank with RO water. I have since been doing all my weekly water changes with RO. I have had the tank running for about 2 mos. Does anyone know how I can get the copper out of my system, or do I need to just do as massive water change?

Do you have a copper test kit?
How did you acclimate your snails and corals?

You say "new" and that you have had it for two months but have you cycled the tank yet? As Scott has already asked long drip acclimations can play a huge role in the health of new stock and if rushed could well be the reason for the deaths.

Assuming the new tank is a brand new store bought tank and not just "new to you" meaning you bought it used then the odds that copper is in your tap is unlikely but remotely possible.

They sell copper test kits online but it's doubtful your lfs would carry it. I'd test first before taking any other steps.

I ran a drip line for about 1 1/2 hours. I tested for copper and the results were no copper at all. Are there some other heavy metals that could cause the same problem? For now I bought a filter pad that is supposed to remove metals and I also tried some Bio Chem-Zorb in my canister filter. Still stumped!

What about ph, or have you had a huge swing in either temp, salinity or pH? How old is your tank?

Back
Top Bottom