How do I go about feeding small fish in a large community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vladka

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got about 20 rummy nose tetras two days ago and failed to realize how small they are! I have a 90 gallon aquarium and some larger fish so the poor guys don’t seem to all get food! Some of the bigger ones seem to be doing fine and have round bellies but a handful of the school is very skinny :(

The current problem isn’t that all the other fish push them away but that they can’t fit even the mini pellets in their mouths and by the time they would have had to soak they’re eaten by someone else. They do try to eat but eventually give up when they can’t fit the pellet in their mouth and let it sink to the bottom.

I’d rather not continue adding the micro pellets to this tank and just use the “small” size omega one instead but I’d like to get these guys settled in first, they make a lot of my other fish much more active! I’m also planning on getting more largish fish relatively soon so need to figure this out!

Are there any tricks to teach them to eat better or some contraption for them to eat from? Specific food brands and types?
IMG_3841.jpg

I use flakes and pellets when I feed and spread it across the entire length of the tank. It makes it harder for the pigs of the tank to be in every spot at the same time and the little ones can feed. Flakes seem to be easier to eat as they aren't as hard and can be broken down to a very small size.

I use flakes and pellets when I feed and spread it across the entire length of the tank. It makes it harder for the pigs of the tank to be in every spot at the same time and the little ones can feed. Flakes seem to be easier to eat as they aren't as hard and can be broken down to a very small size.

You’re right, I’d think flakes pose less of a problem. I do see so many advocating for pellets instead though and that small fish learn to eat them eventually but I guess flakes are a lot better than starving to death! I’ll have to see if I have any left somewhere.

You’re right, I’d think flakes pose less of a problem. I do see so many advocating for pellets instead though and that small fish learn to eat them eventually but I guess flakes are a lot better than starving to death! I’ll have to see if I have any left somewhere.

Honestly most dry foods are just about the same. Flake vs pellet doesn't matter. That being said, New Life Spectrum is my favorite pellet and Cobalt or Sera are my number one flakes. Just check the ingredients. They are the most important part of any flake or pellet. Look for whole seafood, insects, or vegetables/leafy greens to make up most of the top 5 or 10. If they do it is most likely a good food!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom