How do I increase time between water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you under stock the tank, then it would be able to handle interruptions in tank maintenance. Lower bioload = lower waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is your best bet with hardy fish that aren't sensitive to nitrates. I wouldn't try it with discus just because of the cost of those fish.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Caliban, it (my phone) wouldn't allow me to quote but you've got some great points that I wouldn't mind sharing the answers to at all. I do agree that maybe icy would be the one to make the call as whether to discuss here or create another thread for further discussion.

icy, your thoughts ????

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Go for it. In all honesty, I would love to get some first hand responses about discus for future reference. It seems to benefit a lot of people to get first hand responses to their questions from someone with a lot of experience.

You have the go ahead! (y)

I most likely will go with goldies or something else, so we are good in the 55, but I would enjoy the reading in case I ever do end up keeping Discus.

Not sure if this is kosher here, but there is a very active discus specific forum on the internet. Lots of train of thought on that fish, but it seems they're a lot less hands on work once they get up to a large size. Juveniles are apparently a lot of work if you want to have them reach their potential.

Not sure if this is kosher here, but there is a very active discus specific forum on the internet. Lots of train of thought on that fish, but it seems they're a lot less hands on work once they get up to a large size. Juveniles are apparently a lot of work if you want to have them reach their potential.

Link it.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Treeman I'm curious and only because I have wanted to keep Discus in the past. Other than changing the water a lot. What else do Discus require that does not apply to most setups?

I hear they need 'growing out' and substrate kept to a bare minimum to alleviate the strain of particulate removal but surely this would decrease the difficulty would it not?

Other than being a sensitive specimen. What other attention to detail do they require?

Perhaps we could discuss this elsewhere if you prefer not to take away from the OPs original question unless you feel that your response would contribute somewhat.

I feel that, with no experience in discus per se, all set ups require clean water, adequate tank size and a quality diet.

Is it common practice to insist that discus remain in a species only tank? If so that would only (IMO) make things easier since balancing compatibility can be one of the most challenging aspects to the hobby.

I look forward to learning more about these beautiful fish and having someone here with 10 years experience at my disposal, where else better to start.

OP if you feel this would be better suited to a fresh thread please say so.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36532&d=1319427051

Sent from my iPad using science

Thanks. Some good tips about what to look for when buying discus with regards to body shape etc. Other than maintaining good quality water (perhaps a little more often than any set-up) I don't think there is much difference from what is written in the article to keeping a normal community tank.

Perhaps you are (and the fish) are more likely to be punished if you slack on water changes. But then, if you change The water on a regular community aquarium every three days and then slack on water changes, I wouldn't be surprised to see problems there either.

So bare bottom tank with some wood, one discus per ten gallons or double with newbies with a minimum tank size of 55 gallon. Cycled tank with correct temp and stable ph. Decent quarantine and acclamation period, good quality diet and regular water changes and tank maintenance. Oh and buy from a reputable source.

Not too much to put me off there. I would definitely need a python though and to tell the missus she will need to start taking showers instead of baths.

You are right about that Caliban. Honestly, I think the main difference is just frequency and consistency of water changes.

But it all changes when you start talking about raising fry and growing out. Then you're doing multiple daily feedings and WC's. Upwards of 90% each time, therefore it's better to have smaller tanks during that time. Sometimes aging water to have on hand and keeping it heated at the same time. That's when you learn how nice it is to have extra pumps laying around and a totally plumbed fish room. Makes WC's a breeze when you can flip valves and dump water on the floor to drain and another to fill.

But it all changes when you start talking about raising fry and growing out. Then you're doing multiple daily feedings and WC's. Upwards of 90% each time, therefore it's better to have smaller tanks during that time. Sometimes aging water to have on hand and keeping it heated at the same time. That's when you learn how nice it is to have extra pumps laying around and a totally plumbed fish room. Makes WC's a breeze when you can flip valves and dump water on the floor to drain and another to fill.

Yeah I agree it will be different but I guess the same applies for growing most fish out from juvies.

I get what you mean Tree. Other juvies usually aren't as sensitive as discus juvies though, so it makes sense the extra care would be pretty different.

Maybe one day I will set up that drip system lol

Thought the not bothering with a tank comment was a bit unnecessary.

The rest was fine.

Agreed its not really needed. People go on holiday when they have other pets should they not bother having them either.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

Back
Top Bottom