How Do I Properly Add Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I have typically gone to my LFS and purchased a handful of new fish and brought them home to my tank. I have had a lot of problems with my fish dying off though. I just lost my angelfish, which was a real bummer. I'm wondering what recommendations you have for stocking a tank. Should I buy one fish at a time? If so, how long should I go in between buying new fish? Currently I have a 40 gallon tank with a large school of neon, glowing, and serape tetras, two moonlight gouramis, and three silver dollars. As you know, silver dollars can grow to be 6"; mine are about 2.5 inches right now. Well, two of them are; one is still pretty tiny at 1". The gouramis are about 3-3.5 inches from mouth to tail. What kind of fish would you introduce to my tank (if any) and how would you suggest that I go about it? Thanks in advance for any replies.

:) Julie

You can buy more then one fish at a time especially small ones like neons as the only reason for adding small quantities at once is so as the bio load is not increased by a large amount at once and to allow the beneficial bacteria to grow without an ammonia spike. When adding the fish I leave the sealed bag in the tank for about 30 mins to allow the temp to equalise with the tank water. After this I add small quantities of tank water to the bag of fish to allow them to get used to my water slowly to reduce the shock. I will add water to the bag 5 - 6 times over the course of around 3 hours, meaning the total acclimatisation period can take 4 hours or more. Remember the fish being in the bag is not as stressful as the fish being put into new water with different parameters. This is just the method I use and I have tried to perfect it over the years and this is the best I have come up with.

For any fish tank, the general rule for stocking with fish is 1-3 at a time (For schooling fish, you can get away with getting a school of 6). So, depending on the fish you want, depends on how you can stock your aquarium. Bigger fish that have big bio-load should be added alone.

Always wait 2 weeks before adding any new fish, this is so that the bio-load can catch up from adding the other fish.

Really, I think your tank is overstocked. Generally, the problem with that stock is the silver dollars. They can get as big as a saucer (7-9 inches long), they need to be in schools of 6 also, that being said, they need at least a 55 gallon or more. Besides SD's, I think your tank would be stocked, but thats just my 2 cents.

How long has the tank been set up? Do you have a test kit? If so, what are the parameters testing at?

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH

Back
Top Bottom