how do I raise ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 80 gallon long, short tank. Canister filter, powerfilter, extra powerhead. There is movement on the top of the water. Sand substrate, 32lbs of live rock.

My ph is always a bit low...7.6-7.8

I cycled my tank 2 months ago with instant ocean water. Now I do water changes with boxed real ocean water, top offs with tap was dechored.

I add a buffer (8.2) to my top off water sometimes.

What should I do to keep it stable?

Test the "boxed" water. Is that reading low also? Most sea salt mixes will automatically buffer your water to the correct pH. Also, do you have an alkalinity kit?

Check your PH different times of the day. and see what you get. All I do is PWC`s to get my PH where it needs to be.

Check your PH different times of the day.

I agree. You might want to add another ph. I have 2 in my 55G and a filter. What kind of lid do you have?

I have a glass lid with about 3 inches of open air in the back. (that is where my goby jumped out of)

I also have a lot of water, hitting one of the glass pieces on top. I could probably have about a 1/2 inch less water that would get more air space in there.

Checking Ph at various times of day is a start. Also test the "boxed" water as recommended. The water in the boxes has been without oxygen for a long time and most likely has a low Ph. Try heating it and aerating it prior to adding it to the tank. Better yet, mix your own.

Back
Top Bottom