How do I switch my tanks when upgrading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do I switch my tank? I have a 25g nano reef with 35lbs of live rock and I have a 75g with 50lbs of brs reef saver rock. I started this tank to merg my 25g into it beings I don't want 2 tanks and want to put all my time and focus into one outstanding reef. However I don't know how to make the switch

Things in my 25g nano
35lbs of live rock
Sps corals
Zoas
Midis Blenny
Royal gramma
Scooter Blenny
Serpent star
Banded long spine urchin

I don't have lights in the 75g yet but will have them by the end of next week. So I'm wondering what I should do? How and when do I make the move?

I'm wondering if I take about 20lbs of love rock from my 25g (this much rock doesn't have corals attached to it.) and then move my fish over and the corals when I get the lights?

Has the new tank cycled already? Because if so you can just do a direct swap and dispose of the nano tank's water. Easy peasy.
If not, It's not much more complicated, just much more involved. You'll need to carefully transfer everything over, being careful not to disturb the sand as much as possible. Put as much of your nano's water into the new one as you can and arrange all the rocks. Fill the rest of the way with new salt water and begin transferring everything over. I always like to siphon off the top layer of sand and spread it on the new sandbed just to jump start the sand bed colonization.
The important thing is to disrupt the beneficial bacteria as little as possible. If there is no LR in the new tank already, or it is already cycled, then you shouldn't have a new cycle because there is nothing to die off.

I won't have a sand bed in the new tank it's bare bottom. Also the new tank isn't cycled and currently has only base rock in it.

Well, if the only thing in the tank is dry base rock, you may not have a cycle at all. Try adding a few pieces of LR from your tank, then dose ammonia or add fish food to see if it gets converted to nitrate quickly. If so, you'll probably be all set. If not, the LR will colonize the base rock and tank sides pretty quickly if you feed it (again, ammonia source).

Ill add in my live rock and see what happens then. Ill see if it converts the ammonia within 24hours.

Back
Top Bottom