How do I transfer fish from a low pH to normal pH tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muppeholic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a Silver Zebra Angelfish that has got to be moved from a 2 gallon tank to a larger tank.

The 2 gallon has a pH of 6.0 and the larger tank has a 7.0 pH.

The guy at PetSmart suggests putting the fish in a bag (with water from the 2 gallon tank of course). Then every 5 minutes add 1 Tablespoon of the 7.0 pH water to the bag until the fish has "adjusted" to the new pH. He said this should take about 35 minutes. He said to make sure not to get any of the water from the low pH tank into the normal pH tank. Will this work to prevent shock in the fish? Does anyone else have another suggestion. We've tried everything I can think of to stabilize the small tank to a more normal pH but nothing works!

I would appreciate some advice on this. Thanks!

Is the two gal a QT tank? You could try what the Petsmart guy said. What I would do is 25% water changes and replece the water with water from the larger tank.

What is the pH of your tap water (best done after letting it sit out over night with an airstone, if no airstone, that's okay)?

Airline tubing is another method. Put water from the original tank in a 2 gallon bucket. About a gallon, enough the fish can move around and isn't stuck to the bottom. Take a length of airline hose, put it in the new tank (the 7.0 tank).

Just suck on the end of the airline tube a moment and watch for water to come down it (Use clear tube, so you can see the water coming and not swallow it :p). You've now create a mini-syphon.

Now, tie a knot in the end of the airline hose, not to tightly, but until it only drips once a second or so. Very slowly. Then just let it drip into the bucket with the fish. I'd do this for at least an hour (Since the drip is slow) but you can do it as long as you want (For example, if its a 2.5gallon bucket, fill it with 1 gallon and wait for it to reach 2 gallons).

This is fairly safe and slow method of acclimation I've used multiple times, and never lost a fish using it, include fish sensitive to water changes.

I've let the dechlorinated water sit (in a closed) jug overnight and the pH is 7.6. And yes this is the quarantine tank. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Ferret, we just bough new air hoses so we're set there!

However, we'll be starting treatment with Pimafix and Melafix shortly in the large tank for the same problem (septicemia) and I was thinking the fish would be happier either in the 35 gallon or in a larger tank. My biggest concern is the other Angelfish in that tank already. It's a bit of a bully and was forever chasing this other Angelfish when they were in the same tank together. ::Sigh::

We've been looking for a larger tank of at least 10 gallons and was thinking of moving cycled water from the large tank to whatever new tank we get so the poor fish doesn't have to go through another cycling of a tank. (We would add a little bit of "fresh" water to top off the new tank.) But I've been waffling 'cause if the fish turns out to be a "carrier" it'll have to be in it's own tank forever and then it would need a larger tank than 10 gallons. ::sigh:: We're definately NOT rich and if we can avoid buying anything larger than a 10 gallon QT tank that'd help matters greatly.

I had a low pH tank and currently have a high pH tank. I have used the method ferret outlined multiple times as well, with good results.

Thanks, everyone. Our LFS contact is in the middle of a location move so I won't be able to talk to him until later this week. We'll definately use the drip method outlined earlier when it comes time to transfer the Angelfish. Funny though . . . the fish doesn't seem to mind the low pH as much if the General Hardness is a little bit higher . . . (or at least the it seems happier . . . sporting a little bit of stripe instead of none.)

Back
Top Bottom