How do I treat fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessiNoel21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I believe my new guy has it and I have never had a Betta have it or get it so what do I do to treat it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

More information needed...

:confused:

Hey there.

Can you take photos and post? What are you seeing specifically?

Is he in a tank by himself? a bowl?

IF you are 100% sure he is suffering from fin rot then I would recommend a few "over-the-counter" items such as betta "Revive", Melafix (try to find non-pond variety), and aquarium salt.

Be careful though as fin rot can be confused with many other illnesses (which is why I was asking for photos). Also if he has other "tank mates" then you more-than-likely would be better off separating him in a smaller bowl and dosing him a few hours each day.

Hope he gets better.

:fish2:

Attachments

• bettarevive.jpg
    bettarevive.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 77
  • aquariumsalt.jpg
    aquariumsalt.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 62
  • melafix.jpg
    melafix.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 83
:confused:

Hey there.

Can you take photos and post? What are you seeing specifically?

Is he in a tank by himself? a bowl?

IF you are 100% sure he is suffering from fin rot then I would recommend a few "over-the-counter" items such as betta "Revive", Melafix (try to find non-pond variety), and aquarium salt.

Be careful though as fin rot can be confused with many other illnesses (which is why I was asking for photos). Also if he has other "tank mates" then you more-than-likely would be better off separating him in a smaller bowl and dosing him a few hours each day.

Hope he gets better.

:fish2:

He is in a 10 gallon with 5 MTS. Here are some picture itis are the best I can do due to him being so active lol. His top fin looks torn and the tips are see though on the bottom https://www.flickr.com/gp/138082062@N02/J3w1ZY

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the photos.

In my experience fin rot has more crumpled up looking fins. This just looks like a fin tear to me.

The same medicines I pointed out can be used for that and if it is fin rot they will work for it.

You will Definately have to remove him from the tank (shrimp are sensitive) and put him in a small pet store betta cup. Mix some revive and melafix into fresh treated water (not tank water) and allow him to sit for a few hours each day, until you see improvement.

Betta revive tends to "relax" them so don't be alarmed if they are lethargic while being treated or for 10-15 mins after when added back into the tank.

Always mix medicine before adding fish.

Since the cup is so small anything you buy will last a long time and needs to be carefully dosed with an eye dropper. (Don't overtreat water).

Back
Top Bottom