How do you and your fish stop scaring the heck out of each other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellebogen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Very new fish owner here. I have four guppies in a ten gallon. After two months of cycling, I got them last night. Now I have the problem that both my fish and I scare the heck out of each other.

Like when I go to feed them, they all run and hide and are auper afraid of me. It's not uncommon for them to all be in a little huddle together as if they're constantly afraid of their surroundings. They're at least always in pairs.

In addition, I spend all night worrying about them. Did I check the ammonia reading today? Did I sprinkle the food in just the right way? Today I woke up and rushed to my tank to make sure they were okay. Most were laying at the bottom and I was so scared they were dead. Fortunately, they were just sleeping.

I guess my main query is: how and when can my fish and I stop being afraid of one another? How long does it take?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391741651.780612.jpg

This is a picture of them being all huddled up. Is my tank under stocked and js that causing them discomfort? I want my fishies to be as happy as possible, so I wanted minimal fish so they could swim around and be happy.. I have live plants and a hiding spot by my filter. I'm so worried. I just want them to be happy.

Guppies chill together, they'll settle in, they love food, you provide food, they will be at the glass In no time looking oh so hungry, soon you will be posting about over feeding ;)

I agree with Brookster123, they will get used to you in a few days. Also, giving them a treat of brine shrimp will get their attention and action.

Yep they just gotta get used to you. My cichlids hide under the rocks whenever anyone but me goes near the tank. Its funny when people ask me whats in that tank and then I go over, tap on the glass (my feeding cue), and then 16 perfectly hidden cichlids come swimming out.

A few more might help them school better and give them more confidence to come out. Oh wait, it's guppies - that's guaranteed to happen :)

Yep they just gotta get used to you. My cichlids hide under the rocks whenever anyone but me goes near the tank. Its funny when people ask me whats in that tank and then I go over, tap on the glass (my feeding cue), and then 16 perfectly hidden cichlids come swimming out.
oooo mebbid got tricks?!

Not really. My cichlids are like hungry hungry hippos though. They occasionally bounce off the lid during feeding if the water level is high.
haha no way?! My barbs create quite the frenzy when I feed..

Logically, I understand that I've cycled the tank and that I'm testing the water every day. Intellectually, I understand that my fish are probably fine and just swimming away like little maniacs and trying to rocket out of the tank and that they don't care if I have 5 ppm nitrates. But every morning I wake up and rush there just to make sure..

I'll never forget having to flush my first fish, Derpy, down the toilet. Legitimately one of the worst feelings ever. He was my buddy. And I only left for two hours. And he was already stiff when I got back. He looked so sad..

Back
Top Bottom