How do you feed multiple fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollykid

Aquarium Advice Regular
So how do you feed multiple fish without one fish getting all the food ? Thank you so much in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thank you , but I just got three fish 2 Molly's and one swordtail , I got them a day ago could it be that they are not use to the feeding yet , and I have one platy which consumes all the food but I know not to over feed it.

I know what u mean. I had the same problem when I 1st started

I used only to put a tiny amount of food in at a time, but 1 or 2 fish would eat it all

Now I put more food in at once, but not so much that it falls to the bottom wrote the fish eat it

U could also try putting flake in and at the same time drop some pellets in which will sink faster. So some fish will go to the surface for the flake while others can go for the pellets

Yes u could be right

The longer I had the tank the easier it seemed to feed the fish

I have mine 4 months now and they all crowd around the surface when it's feeding time

I have plattys and neon tetra which grab the food at the surface

My barbs and betta wouldn't stand a change, which is why I feed sinking pellets at the same time

They are eating algae tho , is that healthy and my plant too

I don't know. I haven't ventured into live plants yet

I have two types of fish that eat flakes- tiger barbs and a pink kissing gourami.

I use a feeding station for the gourami and crush up any flakes for him into a near powder.

I "distract" the barbs by feeding them first, either in the tank or at the station. I'm still experimenting to figure out which way results in less waste. I think the tank with the filter unplugged is working best. While the barbs eat elsewhere, I put the gourami's (expensive) all veggie flakes ground up in the station and he'll usually figure it out.

Tonight I was able to feed the gourami first by dropping a tiny amount of ground flakes in the station as he ate it to prevent the barbs from catching on to what was happening. Eventually they did and chased him off. I then fed the barbs out in the tank.

Could it be that the new fish aren't use to it yet

It's most likely this is the case. New fish are still a little bit unsure for the first few days. As soon as they get used to the 'food bringer' they will all be the same. I have swordtails and they are like a Hoover on the surface.

Even my German blue ram has learned that he has to be a little more boisterous at feeding time and gets more than his fair share.

Is there any estimate of time like when will they start eating

When I first started, it must have been 2-3 weeks before I stopped having trouble

My betta is still hard to feed. He ignores the food whilst everyone else eats it up

I have to hand feed him bloodworm with a syringe and long feeding tube!
And you think you have problems!

Yes they should. I really wouldn't worry. Just make sure that whilst they become accustomed, you don't have food falling and lying in the tank. That will shoot your nitrates up

I am just feeding the one fish for now cuz if I put too much good in the platy eats everything

Back
Top Bottom