How do you gauge how much water you remove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just curious how ya'll gauge how much water you take out during a PWC. Me, I took a tape measure and marked off for 10, 25, 50, 60, 75, 80% on the side of my tank. I'm guessing most people just eyeball it?

I use a tape measure hung on the tank each time, and then figure in the displacement amount created by decor.

Good I'm not the only precise one!

If it weren't for the fact that I need a fairly precise measurement in order to dose my Prime correctly, I would just eyeball it.

I have a 3 gallon bucket and a 30 gallon tank. It took me a while to find the right bucket to do water changes. My soon to be setup 20 gallon has a 2 gallon bucket waiting.

LyndaB said:
If it weren't for the fact that I need a fairly precise measurement in order to dose my Prime correctly, I would just eyeball it.

FYI you can dose Prime 5x the normal amount and still be safe. Prime is 2 drops per gallon.
Easy Peasy !!

I use two identical 12L buckets with a mark up the side for each liter. I vacuum water out until I hit the number I want in each bucket then dump, rinse, and fill them each up with an extra liter of water, treat them, and pump them back into my aquarium until I hit the full line and the remaining little bit of water tops up my betta bowl

I guage mine off of heighth of tank. If tank is 18" tall, 50% would be 9". I just do some math to figure whatever water amount I want to remove. I just put a piece of tape on side to mark and remove it when I'm done.

FYI you can dose Prime 5x the normal amount and still be safe. Prime is 2 drops per gallon.
Easy Peasy !!

Hmm 2 drops per gallon, thanks, I'll have to remember that. Or when I forget PM the heck outta ya till you remind me! lol

LyndaB said:
Yeah, I know. But why would I want to waste all that Prime when I don't need to? ;)

Haha I know what you mean!

I used to just add a certain amount by eye but know I get out my syringe and draw the exact amount based on my percentage.

But being so concentrated I haven't even made a dent in the reserves :D

Back
Top Bottom