How do you reduce algea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PondFond

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello i was wondering how to reduce algea in a small pond without using a filter, You see i have a half barell pond with a small fountain that gets very scummy in the hot summer. The pond is too small for a filter. :?: what do i do :?:
P.S. An inexpensive way please!

UV is OK but it only works on string algea. It wont turn green water clear.

Algeafix is the best stuff you can buy, but I would not use it if you dont have a pump and some airation going.

How many plants do you have in there? Plants, either submerged, or emergent, will use up some of the nutrients needed by the algae. The idea is to get plants you want to have to out-compete the algae for nutrients.
Besides that, I like Barley Straw Pellets.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...l&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=62728&Nty=1

The barley straw contains a natural chemical that inhibits algae growth, but doesn't affect your fish or plants. I have good results using them.

i have a ton of plants! except my koi go to town ripping them to shreads. I might try some snails. do you think that would work. Where would you get those pellets

i also looked at those uv staralizers today, they were way out of my price range. They costed more than my pond put together.

Tadpoles would probably do more for getting rid of algae than snails, snails only eat algae as a last resort and most species can't survive off algae alone. You could get some freshwater clams that filter the water, since they eat floating particles including algae. Your best bet would be barley pellets as corvuscorax said.

i have never seen fresh water clams in the stores, although they do have them in the great lakes(my area). The clams in the lakes are native to canada and are becoming very rare because zebra muscles taking away their food source and going on their shells thus keeping them clamped down tight, starving the clam. Besides it is illegal to keep a native species in canada. I will keep an eye out for barley pellets.
Thanks

P.S. i always try tadpoles but they die and then rot and kill my fish.

OK Ive been ponding a long time. Here are the ways to fix it:

The #1 way to fix it is to shade your water. Algea requires light to survive (But remember so do other plants).

UV Sterilizers work for string algea.

AlgeaFix is the best chemical you can get (Be sure to not underdose or overdose)

A good way to get rid of it is adding plants. More lilies=more shade=less algea.

They do make "Pond Shade" it is a chemical that turns your water a more blue color (darker) and it doesnt let as much light in. But I have never used this and those that have tell me it hinders plant growth.

Pond Food, Check out the DIY UV Sterilizer that I posted in the DIY section on this fourm.

Also, I dont have any problems with Algea (Although this year I do, it is always bad the start of the year). I dont use any chemicals (Expet I use Algea Fix once a year to get rid of the algea bloom).

Barley I havent seen make any differance.

You might want to add that though algaefix does kill off the floating algae well, it also reduces oxygen in the water, which may harm fish if there isn't enough oxygen from some source other than plants.

Jaxom, thats why I said not to overdose. Overdosing will kill your fish if you overdose too much. Underdosing doesnt do anything.

Really, wow!

This will be my 8th year with my pond, I have used various barley straw products since year 2. First I used whole barley straw, it worked well, but was a pain to deal with due to the bulky nature of whole straw. Even partially chopped up and kept in a flow-through bag, It was still tough to deal with. I've been using the pellets for the last few years, no mess to speak of and far less algae than with no treatment.

green water

green water algae are living organizms tht feed on nitrasomonas which in turn are bacteria. take out the n-m food and the green water goes.
in short leave it to do its will & It will go clear. the other option is to encourage the growth of nitrobacters You can get a bottle at your local fish store its called pondstart/filter start or bury a dead rat at the bottom of the pool and it will breed nitrobacter for the summer months and eat all the n-ms for you . in turn you will have clear water.
Simple innit
www.fishkeepingsupplies.com
Aquarium and Fish Supply Tropical

zacdl said:
UV is OK but it only works on string algea. It wont turn green water clear.

It is actually quite the opposite. It works excellent on green water.. but does NOT work on string algae.

corvuscorax said:

Really, wow!

This will be my 8th year with my pond, I have used various barley straw products since year 2. First I used whole barley straw, it worked well, but was a pain to deal with due to the bulky nature of whole straw. Even partially chopped up and kept in a flow-through bag, It was still tough to deal with. I've been using the pellets for the last few years, no mess to speak of and far less algae than with no treatment.

He is sooo right! The barley bales work incredible! But something like Microbelift Barley Pellets work miracles!

PondFond-- I just ordered a Jebo 9 watt UV sterilizer from aquatraders.com for $29.99 plus shipping. Total was $41.00 After checking around this was a great price.A pump is also included.This is to be used for a small 100 gallon pond.

Back
Top Bottom