How do you run your ebay LEDs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm just curious as to what percentage you run your channels. Im currently running 50-50 and I'm scared to kick them up too high. Tank is 18" high with LEDs sitting about 10" above water surface.

I run mine blues 45% whites 25% with a 16 inch high tank 5 inches above the water level. I just have zoas and mushrooms though. The par on my tank with this configuration is around 80 at the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wish I had a par meter, it would be so much easier lol

par meter will not produce an accurate reading of the par level for the LED fixtures. with that been said, i run by blue at 100% and white at 75-80%

par meter will not produce an accurate reading of the par level for the LED fixtures. with that been said, i run by blue at 100% and white at 75-80%

The only time the readings are inaccurate is when you measure close to the surface.

I wish I had a par meter, it would be so much easier lol

I don't really use it. I turn up the light slowly and see how my corals react. I only put the numbers up so you'd know how much light it produces at my percentages.

How tall is your tank and how high is your fixture above the water surface?

The only time the readings are inaccurate is when you measure close to the surface.

i want to make sure we are referring to the same thing. are you referring to the Chinese LED? white/blue or full spectrum?

I'm getting very minimal bleaching now, mainly on my birdsnests. I'm thinking dialing down my whites. I think I remember ready that corals prefer or utilize blues better? I may be wrong.

here's the article that enunciate the difficulty of using a Par meter to measure an LED fixture, especially full spectrum LED.

Aquarium Equipment: PAR Meters and LEDs - How Accurate are the Measurements? A Comparison of Three Meters and Lux to PAR Conversion Factors for LEDs — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

many forum members exhibit the same frustration when trying to measure the Par level of the LED fixture, whether on the surface, substrate, or somewhere in between

The par meters we use as hobbyists only give a ball park estimate to begin with and the colors that it says are hard for par meters to read are colors that coral don't really use anyways.

I have an Apogee PAR meter and have found that the full spectrum and the straight blue and white units put out about the same PAR. I have a 21" deep tank and have mine at 100% blue, and 40% white. I have 120 degree optics.

I'm getting very minimal bleaching now, mainly on my birdsnests. I'm thinking dialing down my whites. I think I remember ready that corals prefer or utilize blues better? I may be wrong.

Yea they mainly use blue. The whites are more for your viewing.

I'll give it a shot, see how the corals react. I'll dial down the whites and up the blues slowly every week.

Well, I dialed down my whites to about 20% and my blues at 50%. Hopefully that'll help with the bleaching and let my corals recover quickly.

Back
Top Bottom