how do you tell if a wood is hardwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
i've been to petco and petsmart loads of times and i just dont like most of their mopani wood, but ill be at my grandparents this weekend and they have lots of creeks and ponds. i know ill be getting some rocks, but id like to get driftwood too. im thinking th way you tell if it's hardwood is you pull it out of the water and if it feels soft and breaks easily it's soft, but if it's heavy and hard then it's hardwood. i know about all the risks but ill be prepping it for a week before putting it in my tank (putting it in the oven and boiling it).
:thanks:

Fishies86 said:
Put it in some water. Hardwood will sink, softwood will float.

Not true. If it's dry, driftwood will float most of the time until it gets waterlogged, or is dense enough, IMO.

Hardwood comes from deciduous trees such as oak, tanoak, madrone, myrtle, hickory, elm and maple. Softwood comes from conifers such as fir, pine, cedar, and redwood. One way to tell is to try and scratch it with your fingernail. You shouldn't be able to mark hardwood with just your nail. The best way is probably to ask your grandparents, they most likely know what types of trees are growing along streams close to them.

i think they have oak hickory and maple. thanks im going to look up the trees and do the scratch thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom