How do you trim your tank plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corster

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering how you guys trim your plants. I thought of using a regular pare of scissor, but wouldn't the factory grease affect your aquarium and poison it?? Anyone just rip the dead/decaying plant matter or pinch it off?

I use a pair of stainless steal scissors for most of my trimming, although I also use my finger nail from time to time as well.

I also use a pair of plant scissors. I got them from DrsFosterSmith and use them for only the aquarium. I also use fingernails on thin stems. My tanks are small, so it's easy to take the stem plant out of the tank, trim, and put back in. The scissors themselves rarely go into the tank, but with the plant scissors, I don't think it matters. With other scissors, just check to see that they aren't greasy at the hinge.

Surgical steel isn't meant to have any oil on it. If there is some from manufacturing/shipping wash it off with detergent and rinse well. Any stainless steel scissors will work just make sure to wash off any oil before aquarium use.

I too have a dedicated pair of scissors for quick snips and full cuts (ever try cutting a huge rhizome?). I've tried using my fingernails but only resulted in putting a dent into the stem. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom