How does this fish combo sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newlywed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, I went to PetSmart yesterday just to look at fish and plants. I found some fish that I like and was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on a combination that I chose. Below, I have a list of the fish that I'd like to have in my 55 gal. After each fish, I have the number of fish that I'd like to have. Now, I know that some of these fish will get big, that's where your experience comes in. I'd like to know if I should cut anyone out or increase/decreae anyone's numbers. Also, if you can think of any other tank mates that would work, let me know.

Clown Loach (3)
Blood Parrot (1)
Corys (2)
Silver Dollar (2)
Zebra Oscar Cichlid (1)
Dojo Loach (1)
Misc African Cichlid Picked by Color (4)
Gourami (the orange ones) (2)

Plus various plants

Any problems with this set-up? Anyone that I should add or delete?

Thanks for your time!

Jim

Maybe you would like to consider an algae eater (pleco/SAE)? I'd suggest two more cories of the same species since they like to school together. I am not a real expert in cichlids, but I fear that African cichlids may be too aggressive for the honey gouramis (which I guess are those you call orange).

Leave all the Cichlids out (Including the blood parrot). They're a fish you should attempt later with more experience, and need to be kept in specific groups. Oscars are South American cichlids, and shouldn't be mixed with African cichlids. The blood parrots are a hybrid cichlid, also South American otherwise. They're very aggressive and would probably kill/eat all the other fish mentioned. They also grow rather large and would require a larger tank before long.

If you leave the cichlids out, all your other fish are compatible. The silver dollars will grow pretty big, and the gold gouramis are pretty cool too. Consider another 1 or 3 corys, and maybe some blue gouramis (Opaline is what Petsmart calls them).

Then you'd have a pretty nice tank. Remember to buy them slowly and watch your water parameters!

Thank you so much for your quick answers!!!

Okay, so no cichlids. I do have a 29 gal that I could use as a cichlid tank further down the road so I'll do that instead. Should I really have 5 corys in with 3 clown loaches? I wouldn't think there would be enough for them to eat! I like the Blue Gouramis as well so will add them to the list. And get a pleco! That will give me 16 fish in a 55 gal tank. Is that too many? I know at first the tank will seem empty but once the fish start growing it'll be better. Is there a certain number of silver dollars that you should keep together?

Again, thanks for the quick responses.

Jim

I think that 5 corys will not be a problem to feed. Just give a very little bit more! Look at LFS with 2 cories in a tank and those with more than 5, you will see how cories appreciate being together. But I insist: make sure they're from the same species. While there are discussions whether different species mix together (positive and negative reports; for example in my 10 Gallon tank, I have 3 cories, one panda, and two leucomelas-I think!-. The panda *loves* to be with one leuco, but the other likes it alone! In another tank, I had one albinos aeneus cory, and when I added 2 other albino friends, he loved it).

As for the pleco, consider SAE or if you want, Otocinclus (3-4). The latter are small but good algae eaters, generally. You may really want an algae eater. Newbies do not like to begin with those, but soon (1-3 weeks) they realize that they are needed! :twisted:

Good luck. Btw, are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? I guess so, but wanted to make sure.

Make sure you get a smaller pleco, not a common pleco.

If you had to decide between the clown loaches or the cories, I'd keep the cories. The loaches get to a foot long so they might be cramped eventually (They grow fairly slow).

Then you could get say a school of tiger barbs (Same coloring as clown loaches)

As already mentioned, no Cichlids! They won't mix when it comes to temperment and water requirements. A Gourami and loach tank should work well. Just be cautious with the Gourami, as they can be a little on the aggressive side amongst themselves. If you can, try for 1m/2f ratio or just 1 per species.

On a side note, 29 gallons really won't do for an African Cichlid tank nor an Oscar tank. It can work well for "dwarf" Cichlids, however.

I'm not really what one would consider a newbie. My wife and I each had tanks before we were married. We received a 55 gallon setup as a wedding present and I've never had a tank this big before so am asking the questions. My last tank was a 29 gallon and I had 2 clown loaches, a gourami, one cory cat and a pleco in it. I had a bit of trouble one winter with an ice storm and the power was knocked out while away for the weekend and my heater and filter stopped working and I lost all the fish. I decided not to set the tank up again because I would be moving within a year (after getting married)Now, with the new house and the new tank, we are anxious to get started again. I love the different colors of cichlids but had never had them in a tank before. My lfs has several tanks with just cichlids and I think that will be what I do with my 29 gallon.
I was thinking...how about adding a red tailed shark to the mix? I know that I can keep only one and have seen them kept successfully with the loaches. Comments?
I do know about the different plecos and know that they are necessary. I will look into the otos and refresh my memory as to what they look like and may consider them instead. I really hate the looks of the pleco (although I've seen one at the lfs that is huge and beautifully spotted)

Thanks again for the info!!!

I'd avoid red-tail sharks. They get rather large to my knowledge. A compromise is a single Rainbow shark. They top out around 6 inches, and I've kept them with no problems with Dojo loaches and Gouramis, as well as many other fish. I still have one in my 29 gallon.

I think you should wait on cichlids till you can get a larger tank. They'll really appreciate, and so will you. The more room they have, the less aggression they'll show, and you'll be able to enjoy them a lot more. Plus you'll have more room to arrange the tank.

Okay, you've talked me out of the cichlids. Hmmmm...now I need a new plan for the 29 gallon tank. I really like the blood parrots. Could I put one in the 29 gallon tank? If so, what tank mates could he have?
Oh...so many choices!! :?

The blood parrots are really a cichlid hybrids of some sort, no one really knows. 1 or 2 SHOULD be okay in a 29 gallon, but you might want to just stick with 1. They still get quite a bit larger, 8+ inches.

They're described as being 'dog-like' but I've never kept one.

Congrats on the wedding!

No offense for "newbie", that's the problem with such forum, one gets a newbie label if one just registers!

I think the chocolate pleco is a "small" pleco with a maximum of 6", but please check. The otos have the advantage of being 1.5" at maximum size.

The Red-tail will work size-wise and with the Gouramis. It's not going to get beyond 6" either. As long as they work with the Clown loaches (someone else will have to chime in), I think that would look great!

Thanks Astroguy! I wasn't offended because I knew that no one knows my history, that's why I wanted to clarify. I'm a newbie to the board though! I would not consider myself a pro either but do know a bit about fishies!
I'll have to look at the 2 different sharks and make my decision based on that since they both seem to work. Anyone know where I can see pictures of these guys? Same with the otos. Basically, I want an active and attractive tank with lots of movement and color. My LFS has a very large tank and it has a large silver dollar, several clown loaches, a large (I'm talking 12") pleco and a very large blood parrot. I guess, that's my fantasy tank but am willing to compromise since the tank that I have is much smaller.
There are just so many choices that one could get lost in the looking! I want to make sure that everyone in the tank gets along and that I have all the levels covered. I'm going to try the fishless cycling since I do not want to buy unnecessary fish! I hope to have the tank up and filled by this weekend. Until then, I'm doing more investigating and am very thankful for your comments.
One more question...I use tap water in my fish tank. I've never declorinated it, I've just left it sit in containers to warm up to room temp before adding to my tank. Should I be buying a chemical to declorinate the water? And...what is the best way to heat it to tank temps?

Thanks again!

I recently bought 8 tiger barbs and they look beautiful swimming together, If you keep them in a large enough school then fin nipping shouldn't be a problem. (I have an Opaline in with mine who isnt bothered by them)SAE make excellent algae eaters but watch out for copy cats that are often labled SAE at pet stores. I'd also watch out with the two gouramis together because I originally got two and they were very aggresive with each other, I had to take one back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom