How is this possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday the nitrate reading in my 6ft tank was 5.0 but after doing a 15% w/c today, the level has increased! It's not the tap water- I've tested that. When I topped up the tank I used seachem safe, stress guard, and a couple of teaspoons of aquarium salt. I can't tell you what the exact reading is now, because using the api test I can't tell the difference between the 10.0 indicator and the 20.0.

I took both samples from near the top, and there was only 14 hours between samples. Could it have been the disturbance of the substrate when I used the gravel cleaner to siphon the water out?

I don't know if I clean the gravel often enough or too often- I use the gravel cleaner to do a w/c every 4-5 days. I used to use a battery operated vacuum in between w/c but I have gone through 4 of them (2 of them were the expensive to buy but cheaply manufactured Eheim). I no longer have the foot long Pleco in that tank so it doesn't get very messy now anyway. There is a lot of wood and plants in the tank- I've tried to use mostly plants that are attached to wood so that I can move them to better clean the substrate. It's a fine balance though, between adequate cleaning and stressing the fish, isn't it? There is a large driftwood cave that I don't move, as the feather fins and upside down cats hide in there.

A 15% water change would hardly change your nitrAte level at all so it's not surprising it would increase. But yes disturbing the substrate can release nitrAtes into the tank.

A 15% water change would hardly change your nitrAte level at all so it's not surprising it would increase. But yes disturbing the substrate can release nitrAtes into the tank.

Ok, I will have to try and find an easier method to siphon the water (easier than siphoning into buckets and emptying them) so that I can do larger water changes

Edited to add: I had thought increasing the frequency of water changes would compensate for the volume of them.

I ripped the 3 foot of hose off my gravel vac and stuck on a big length of garden hose so I could just run it straight out of the doors into the drain on my patio.

Back
Top Bottom