How large of a tank for...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshv155

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have not done a SW tank yet but I have been learning as much as I can and maybe in the next few months will get one up and running. My question is what is the minimum tanks size you would recommend for a Clown Trigger and Dog Faced Puffer (want those for sure undecided on anything else). Will be doing FOWLR. Is it better to have a wider or longer tank with these species. I just went and looked at a 120 gallon tank that was 48x24x24 with a corner overflow. Will this suffice or should I go bigger ?

Don't want to buy a tank that is to small and start out on the wrong foot...

A 120 is a good starting size tank. It really depends on what your budget is and if you like the depth or length better. Personally I like the wide tanks, that is why for my future tank I am going with a 48x48x24. For length you could get a 125, it's 72x12x24. But always remember get the biggest tank that you can get for your budget.

Well I want to get a tank that won't make me want to upgrade based on the species I stock. I have heard some folks say wider is better for puffers for their turning radius and long better for the Triggers. I'm in no hurry to jump into a tank and the longest I could get is prob 60 or maybe 72 ...have to move around my FW tank either way. I am waiting for the right deal on Craigslist. The tank I mentioned was going for $150

That tank size will meed the requirements for the puffer, but the clown trigger is a min of 125 gallons. You have the right idea though. Look up the fish you want on liveaquaria and it will tell you the min gallons they need.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom